[mou] Spending the day in school

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 17:23:40 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C5FC1C.218E39A0

I was invited to spend 4 hours today with some 5th graders at Stowe =
School in Duluth to draw/paint/glitter and use of other media to create =
bird images.

It was a ton of fun.  Nothing like spending the day with a bunch of kids =
calling me "Mr. Hendrickson"  We created Bohemian Waxwings, White-winged =
Crossbills, Common Redpolls and all sorts of owls.  This boy had the =
task of making a American Goldfinch so I made him create a winter =
plumage goldfinch and when he was done it looked like a Brambling!  I =
mean there was glue every where, glitter all over us, feathers floating =
in the air, pastels on our pants, and markers/crayons all over the =
floor.  I think by the time the day was over the teacher was seeing red =
and her classroom was a disaster!  The carpet was blue and now it looked =
multi color. She was yelling at the kids to pick things up and so I =
hugged my daughter and snucked out. I thought she was angry at me =
because I really like glitter and got carried away with it.

We created a lot of birds that they use to decorate the halls. They =
asked me a ton of questions on birds and of course when they see me they =
ask " What got you into birds? or How do you know so much about birds?"  =
So I explained everything to them and some of the kids were taken back =
knowing their basketball/baseball coach is a bird watcher.

The gross part of the day was looking at the food these kids eat for hot =
lunches. My daughter sat next to me and I looked her plate and see this =
yellow meatball and Becca tells me its macaroni! Then they had this off =
green color green beans and of course chocolate milk and cookies. Sounds =
yummy -- where is Emeril Lagasse or Bobby Flay?

I looked in the gym and the gym teacher is teaching the kids how to bowl =
and keep score! What ever happen to dodge ball or trench? Bowling?

It was a great day  teaching young kids about birds and tossing in the =
art part of it was a blast.  If you ever get ask to go to some school to =
help a teacher in the study of birds I suggest you give it a try.  Just =
stay away from the hot food in the cafeteria! Oh the teacher was not mad =
at me and welcomes me to come back next year and also do a  spring bird =
walk with them.

Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Minnesota Birding Treks
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C5FC1C.218E39A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>I was invited to spend 4 =
hours today with=20
some 5th graders at Stowe School in Duluth to draw/paint/glitter and use =
of=20
other media to create bird images.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>It was a ton of fun.&nbsp; =
Nothing like=20
spending the day with a bunch of kids calling me "Mr. Hendrickson"&nbsp; =
We=20
created Bohemian Waxwings, White-winged Crossbills, Common Redpolls and =
all=20
sorts of owls.&nbsp; This boy had the task of making a American =
Goldfinch so I=20
made him&nbsp;create a winter plumage goldfinch and when he was done it =
looked=20
like a Brambling!&nbsp; I mean there was glue every where, glitter all =
over us,=20
feathers floating in the air, pastels on our pants, and markers/crayons =
all over=20
the floor.&nbsp; I think by the time the day was over the teacher was =
seeing red=20
and her classroom was a disaster!&nbsp; The carpet was blue and now it =
looked=20
multi color. She was yelling at the kids to pick things up and so I =
hugged my=20
daughter and snucked out. I thought she was angry at me because I really =
like=20
glitter and got carried away with it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>We created a lot of birds =
that they use=20
to decorate the halls. They asked me a ton of questions on birds and of =
course=20
when they see me they ask " What got you into birds? or How do you know =
so much=20
about birds?"&nbsp; So I explained everything to them and some of the =
kids were=20
taken back knowing their basketball/baseball coach is a bird=20
watcher.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>The gross part of the day=20
was&nbsp;looking at the food these kids eat for hot lunches. My daughter =
sat=20
next to me and I looked her plate and see this yellow meatball and Becca =
tells=20
me its macaroni! Then they had this off green color green beans&nbsp;and =
of=20
course chocolate milk and cookies. Sounds yummy -- where is Emeril =
Lagasse or=20
Bobby Flay?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>I looked in the gym and the =
gym teacher=20
is teaching the kids how to bowl and keep score! What ever happen to =
dodge ball=20
or trench? Bowling?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>It was a great day&nbsp; =
teaching young=20
kids about birds and tossing in the art part of it was a blast.&nbsp; If =
you=20
ever get ask to go to some school to help a teacher in the study of =
birds I=20
suggest you give it a try.&nbsp; Just stay away from the hot food in the =

cafeteria! Oh the teacher was not mad at me and welcomes me to come back =
next=20
year&nbsp;and also do a &nbsp;spring bird&nbsp;walk with =
them.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Michael =
Hendrickson<BR>Duluth,=20
Minnesota<BR>Minnesota Birding Treks<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/">http://webpages.chart=
er.net/mmhendrickson/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C5FC1C.218E39A0--