[mou] Black-legged Kittiwake late Saturday

Hagsela@aol.com Hagsela@aol.com
Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:25:49 EST

--part1_195.4d83d72f.30cccc0d_boundary

     The Black-legged Kittiwake was still present at 4:20 Saturday afternoon.
  I'd seen him on the ice to the south of the road from Noon to 12:20.   He
preened and stretched his wingsto show that bold pattern!   He was so much
smaller than the surrounding Herring Gulls.   A RT Hawk scared up the gulls and
only the Herrings came back down.
     When I returned at 3:30, we saw the bird (after some waiting) on the
north side of the road.   He put on quite the aerial show for us, coming within
several feet of me a couple of times!   He caught his supper, was chased by a
Herring and then an eagle before downing his fish mid flight.   At about 4:15 I
was back on the south side of the road and he swooped into scope view before
flying east.
     No Glaucous Gull despite intensive searching.   But what beautiful looks
at the striking kittiwake!!
     At noon I also saw a Great Blue Heron hanging with the gulls.

Linda Sparling
Hennepin County

--part1_195.4d83d72f.30cccc0d_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Gen=
eva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Black-legg=
ed Kittiwake was still present at 4:20 Saturday afternoon.&nbsp;  I'd seen h=
im on the ice to the south of the road from Noon to 12:20.&nbsp;  He preened=
 and stretched his wingsto show that bold pattern!&nbsp;  He was so much sma=
ller than the surrounding Herring Gulls.&nbsp;  A RT Hawk scared up the gull=
s and only the Herrings came back down.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; When I returned at 3:30, we saw the bird (after som=
e waiting) on the north side of the road.&nbsp;  He put on quite the aerial=20=
show for us, coming within several feet of me a couple of times!&nbsp;  He c=
aught his supper, was chased by a Herring and then an eagle before downing h=
is fish mid flight.&nbsp;  At about 4:15 I was back on the south side of the=
 road and he swooped into scope view before flying east.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; No Glaucous Gull despite intensive searching.&nbsp;=
  But what beautiful looks at the striking kittiwake!!<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; At noon I also saw a Great Blue Heron hanging with=20=
the gulls.<BR>
<BR>
Linda Sparling<BR>
Hennepin County</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANS=
SERIF" SIZE=3D"2"></FONT></HTML>

--part1_195.4d83d72f.30cccc0d_boundary--