[mou] Ivory-billed Woodpecker articles and personal mental wonderings about the birding community and habitat conservation

MARTELL, Mark MMARTELL@audubon.org
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 14:43:08 -0500

MOU is an active partner in the Important Bird Areas program that =
identifies and works to improve bird habitat as noted below. We welcome =
any and all birders to work with us on preserving and expanding bird =
habitat in the state.

I agree that birders need to keep finding ways to step up and preserve =
bird habitat. But lets not overlook the positive impacts that over =
$1,000,000 in annual donations to the Non Game program, donations to TNC =
and other habitat protection groups, recovery efforts for many =
non-hunted species and local projects by Audubon chapters and other =
around the state have had. None of these were hunter driven and arguably =
came primarily from the segment of the population that would be =
self-describe bird watchers.

So buy a duck stamp, but do not overlook the value of your contributions =
to the other organizations you belong to.

Merry Christmas and a happy Christmas bird count.

Mark Martell
Director of Bird Conservation
Audubon Minnesota
2357 Ventura Drive #106