[mou] No Snowies (Hennipin Co.)

alyssa tiger150@comcast.net
Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:26:57 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C60BA9.FE96C4B0

I arrived on Cargo Road around 10:15 this morning. My dad and I looked =
around the fences, but not a single Snowy Owl. However, we did find a =
male American Kestrel, first mistaken for a Rock Dove. It flew behind us =
near the FedEx building and perched on the barbed wire on the opposite =
side. We got about 35 feet away from him. What a little beauty! We went =
to the north end of Lake of the Isles, where a male Wild Turkey darted =
in front of our path and flew across to the island. We also saw a =
probable female Sharp-shinned or Cooper's Hawk. I would appreciate =
giving details to those who could help me identify it. Thank you.

Alyssa DeRubeis
Golden Valley
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: James Mattsson=20
  To: Mou-net@cbs.umn.edu=20
  Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 10:15 AM
  Subject: [mou] Horned Grebe at Black Dog

  Yesterday, 12/27/05, I photographed a basic Horned Grebe at the far =
east end of the west lake at Black Dog. This is the general location =
where an Eared Grebe has been reported sporadically since Dec. 7th. My =
digiscoped photos clearly show, among other key features, a white tip to =
the bill, typical of Horned and not Eared Grebe. Because the presence of =
Eared Grebe in winter is very rare in Minnesota, I encourage observers =
to submit a Request for Documentation to MOURC.=20

  Jim
  Eagan

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C60BA9.FE96C4B0

<HTML style=3D"FONT-SIZE: small; FONT-FAMILY: Times New Roman"><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I arrived on Cargo Road around 10:15 =
this morning.=20
My dad and I looked around the fences, but not a&nbsp;single Snowy Owl. =
However,=20
we did find a male American Kestrel, first mistaken for a Rock =
Dove.&nbsp;It=20
flew behind us near the FedEx building and perched on the barbed wire on =
the=20
opposite side. We got about 35 feet away from him. What a little beauty! =
We went=20
to the north end of&nbsp;Lake of the Isles, where a male Wild Turkey =
darted in=20
front of our path and flew across to the island. We also saw a probable =
female=20
Sharp-shinned or Cooper's Hawk. I would appreciate giving details to =
those who=20
could help me identify it. Thank you.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Alyssa DeRubeis</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Golden Valley</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dmattjim@earthlink.net =
href=3D"mailto:mattjim@earthlink.net">James=20
  Mattsson</A> </DIV>
title=3DMou-net@cbs.umn.edu=20
  href=3D"mailto:Mou-net@cbs.umn.edu">Mou-net@cbs.umn.edu</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, December 28, =
2005 10:15=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [mou] Horned Grebe at =
Black=20
  Dog</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <P>
  <DIV>Yesterday, 12/27/05, I photographed a basic Horned Grebe at the =
far east=20
  end of the west lake at Black Dog. This is the general location where =
an Eared=20
  Grebe has been reported sporadically since Dec. 7th. My digiscoped =
photos=20
  clearly show, among other key features, a white tip to the bill, =
typical of=20
  Horned and not Eared Grebe. Because the presence of Eared Grebe in =
winter is=20
  very rare in Minnesota, I encourage observers to submit a Request for=20
  Documentation to MOURC. </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Jim</DIV>
  <DIV>Eagan</DIV>