[mou] Grand Marais (MN) Harbor Survey for Birders

Hoffman harbor@boreal.org
Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:08:15 -0600

 From Ken and Molly Hoffman, February 2, 2005

Dear Birders:

Below please find a Grand Marais Harbor Survey of Birders.

We have attempted to keep this survey simple.  The data collected will be
important in discussions about the impact that a large marina development
in the Grand Marais harbor would have on birders.

The data collected will emphasize the concern birders have about proposed
marina development, and their familiarity with the harbor as a birding
resource.  And, it will identify which areas are most important to the
birding experience. For background information, please see MN Birding,
January/February 2005.

The Harbor Advisory Committee is willing to accept more public input and
the final committee decision scheduled for January 2005 was postponed.  We
can have some impact on the committee by providing sound numbers with this
survey so please do not delay in responding.

Thank you.

Good Birding,
Ken & Molly Hoffman
196 County Road 44
Grand Marais, MN  55604
***
GRAND MARAIS HARBOR SURVEY OF BIRDERS:
For this survey the Grand Marais harbor is divided into six areas described
below.  Please indicate which of these areas are most important to your
birding experience in the harbor area.
1 = most important area
2 = second most important area
3 = third most important area

For email purposes, please indicate your choices and ranking immediately
following the location and return by email, or indicate your choices and
ranking in a comment format.  Make sure the location is clearly
identified.  (If you require a map to identify the locations, please email
harbor@boreal.org for more information.)  Please let us know your name(s)
and home town.

HARBOR AREAS:
A. ARTISTS' POINT AND THE EAST BREAK WALL
B. BLACKTOP PARKING AREA (Coast Guard through Boulder Park)
C. NORTHERLY GRAVEL BEACH (Trading Post to highway 61)
D. EXISTING MARINA (Angry Trout to break wall intersection with beach)
E. WEST BREAK WALL (rock and concrete)

Comments:

***
(Further instructions: Please provide this survey with at least 1, 2, AND 3
rankings.  If you absolutely cannot decide between 1 and 2 rankings, two
#1s will be accepted.  If you are a couple and are birders, and can agree
on ranking, put both your names on the survey and we will count it as two
surveys.  If you cannot agree, please provide two separate rankings, and
counted as two surveys.)

Email survey to :
harbor@boreal.org
- or -