[mou] Owl surveys?

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 14:09:52 -0600

We made a big push for volunteers at the beginning of this and felt we
had gotten most of the people who were interested. I am not certain,
though, so I thought I would ask one more time. As for where counts are
needed, according to Peder Svingen's data, the approximate center of the
Great Gray Owl irruption seems to run from central Cass and Hubbard
counties through northern Aitkin to central Kanabec and Pine. We have
limited to no route in these areas, so any censuses done in there would
add to our data. The routes must be done either Saturday 2 /5 or Sunday
2/6 and then again in March one weekend. They must be done within 2
hours of sunrise or sunset, and you will need at least two people to do
it, it is too hard to drive and watch both sides of the road by
yourself. The route should be 30-35 miles in length, and along roads
where you can stop and pull over. If anyone is really committed to doing
this and not currently doing a routed further north, please contact me
today via email and I will see if something can be done.

Mark Alt=20
President,=20
Minnesota Ornithologists Union
J. F. Bell Museum of Natural History