[mou] Snowy Owl, G. Eagle, SEOwls at Rothsay/Albinistic Pheasant? (Long)

JELLISBIRD@aol.com JELLISBIRD@aol.com
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 22:21:31 EST

    After blanking out (again) in my search for Northern Owls in Douglas
County I got bored and decided to poke around. On the way North to look for Herb
Dingman's Black- Backed Woodpecker (missed it) I saw what appeared to be an
Albino Ring-Necked Pheasant in a marshy spot by the shoulder of the N/S road 3
miles E of Parker's Prairie (between OT County 46 and OT County 42). Its tail
was stubby and it had faint brown streaking on its sides and breast. It also had
a reddish patch around its eyes. It was clearly pheasant size and there was a
cock further N in the same wetland.
    The Snowy Owl was first (4:00) on a telephone pole South of a little east
from the large Hay shed near the lek where Wilkin 176 ends (or turns south).
It flew from there to the top of a tree further south. Later (5:30) I
relocated it at the top of a tree in the farmstead nestled in the same L intersection,
visible from the NS road. The Eagle was seen from the same L intersection
first flying and then stationary on a large stump. There were two (possibly
three) Short Eared Owls hunting. I also saw groups of 2, 4, 12, 13, 15, and about
35 Prairie Chickens. They seemed skittish, flushed from a long distance. I saw
no Goldeneye or Trumpeters at Fergus. Small streams are running.

    John Ellis (St. Paul)