[mou] Aitkin Co Owls

Cindy Butler Risen cbutler@lcp2.net
Sun, 06 Feb 2005 17:41:47 -0600

HI
I did an early morning route in eastern Aitkin County, from Tamarack to
McGregor, a few miles south and then back to my house, slightly over 40
miles. I saw 19 Great Gray Owls, some of which were seen on the road north
of Tamarack to my house on the way south, but not when I traveled back
north. The owls seem to be very active and do not stay in the same tree or
post for long periods of time. Several of the owls were only apparent when
I scanned the ground and low bushes at the edges of the fields. Many of the
owls I saw today, and last week too, seemed to be roosting on the ground.
The N Hawk Owls do tend to stay in the same area, but like the Great Grays
are flying around and are quite active. Snow levels have dropped with the
warm weather last week and I saw several Rough-legged Hawks, which hadn't
been seen here for several weeks. There were very few owls out in the wind
and bright sunshine yesterday, but some of the same areas had several owls
today. More than likely there are fewer owls around here, but then they may
just be further from the roadsides and not as obvious as before. I try to
go out looking for owls every few days or so, I'll keep you all posted as
to what I see here in eastern Aitkin County.
Cindy Butler Risen