[mou] Feb 7th Birding

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 17:48:56 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C50D3D.4BF21690

I was guiding Jean Dubi, Tina Mossbargar and Jeff Palmer all from =
Sarasota, Florida area.

Birds seen or heard today:

-White-winged Crossbill
-Red Crossbill =20
* all crossbills were seen as fly bys and some kept swirling ver our =
heads but all were calling.  The place to go is at the University =
Regional Extension office just west of Cloquet. Take I-35 south to Hwy. =
210 and go west to Co. Rd 5 and go north on Co. Rd 5 for 2 miles and the =
buildings and grounds are on your left. Park in and walk around.

-Black-billed Magpie on Peary Rd in Sax Zim Bog area. Take Co. Rd 52 and =
look for Peary on the east  side of Co. Rd 7. We drove down Peary Rd. =
and found the Magpies on the east side of the road.

-2 Black-backed Woodpeckers at the McDavitt Rd. spot. (mentioned =
numerous times already).

Great Gray Owl, Northern Hawk Owl, and  numerous Ruffed Grouse. ** I =
spotted the Boreal Owl as we were driving east along Co. Rd 52 (Arkola =
Rd.). The owl was perched in plain view across from the Cotton =
Maintenace entrance. The entrance is on the south side of Co. Rd 52 and =
the owl was perched o the north side opposite of the entrance. There is =
a grey mailbox and the owl was perched above the mail box. **

We went into Wilbert's Cafe and saw Mark Stensaas and a man from WI. =
They both went back and took photos of it and after our meal we went =
back to see if the owl is still roosting. The owl apprently woke up and =
flew to the west a few yard and was out of view in a small grove of =
spruce and aspen.

At the Airport we relocated the male Snowy Owl along the south fence =
line quite close to Airport Approach Rd.  **There are new "No parking" =
signs all along this road on both sides of the road!! So the only way =
you can safely bird this area is park your car at Gordy's Farm Market =
and walk up along this road OR get permission from personnel at the =
Federal Express building and walk along this road. **  I got excellent =
photos of the Snowy Owl, they will be added to my web site under Snowy =
Owl.

Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Minnesota Birding Treks
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C50D3D.4BF21690

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>I was guiding Jean Dubi, Tina =
Mossbargar=20
and Jeff Palmer all from Sarasota, Florida area.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Birds seen or heard =
today:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-White-winged =
Crossbill</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Red Crossbill&nbsp; =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>* all crossbills were seen as =
fly bys and=20
some kept swirling ver our heads but all were calling.&nbsp; The =
place&nbsp;to=20
go&nbsp;is at the University Regional Extension office just west of =
Cloquet.=20
Take I-35 south to Hwy. 210 and go west to Co. Rd 5 and go north on Co. =
Rd 5 for=20
2 miles and the buildings and grounds are on your left. Park in and walk =

around.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Black-billed Magpie on Peary =
Rd in Sax=20
Zim Bog area. Take Co. Rd 52 and look for Peary on the east&nbsp; side =
of Co. Rd=20
7. We drove down Peary Rd. and found the Magpies on the east side of the =

road.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-2 Black-backed Woodpeckers =
at the=20
McDavitt Rd. spot. (mentioned numerous times already).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Great Gray Owl, Northern Hawk =
Owl, and=20
&nbsp;numerous Ruffed Grouse.&nbsp;**&nbsp;I spotted the Boreal Owl as =
we were=20
driving east along Co. Rd 52 (Arkola Rd.). The owl was perched in plain =
view=20
across from the Cotton Maintenace entrance. The entrance&nbsp;is on the =
south=20
side of Co. Rd 52 and the owl was perched o the north side opposite of =
the=20
entrance. There is a grey mailbox and the owl was perched above the mail =

box.&nbsp;**</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>We went into Wilbert's Cafe =
and saw Mark=20
Stensaas and a man from WI. They both went back and took photos of it =
and after=20
our meal we went back to see if the owl is still roosting. The owl =
apprently=20
woke up and flew to the west a few yard and was out of&nbsp;view in a =
small=20
grove of spruce and aspen.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>At the Airport =
we&nbsp;relocated the male=20
Snowy Owl along the south fence line quite close to&nbsp;Airport =
Approach=20
Rd.&nbsp; **There are new&nbsp;"No parking" signs all along this road on =
both=20
sides of the road!! So the only way you can safely bird this area is =
park your=20
car at Gordy's Farm Market and walk up along this road OR get permission =
from=20
personnel at the Federal Express building and walk along this=20
road.&nbsp;**&nbsp; I got excellent photos of the Snowy Owl, they will =
be added=20
to my web site under Snowy Owl.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Michael =
Hendrickson<BR>Duluth,=20
Minnesota<BR>Minnesota Birding Treks<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/">http://webpages.chart=
er.net/mmhendrickson/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C50D3D.4BF21690--