[mou] Expenses???

Ann and Manley Olson a_molson@unidial.com
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:21:33 -0600

  I do not have any report on spending but I can give some information
on the extent to which people make an effort to see rare birds.We had a
Varied Thrush in our neighborhood  for about a month,two weeks of which
it was in our yard.During that time I know of at least 150 visitors,from
at least 8 states.When the bird moved two blocks away I was not able to
keep as close a count on visitors and we were in Arizona for 8 days.I
talked with birders from throughout the Metro area and some from other
parts of Minnesota and Western Wisconsin.I doubt if any visitors from
other states came to Minnesota just for the Varied Thrush but I do know
that some who came looking for owls did go out of their way to look for
the thrush.The number of local visitors was probably increased by the
fact that the bird was here on Jan 1 and we had about 50 visitors on
that day  as birders wanted it for their year list.
Manley Olson