[mou] Gyrfalcon - Aitkin County

Roger Schroeder ignacio_magpie@rohair.com
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:52:30 -0600

Had a Gryfalcon fly over us today (2/21) while traveling Aitkin CR 5 about
3.75 miles north of Palisade. GPS North coordinate is 46*46'. It was flying
northwest to southeast and was lost out of sight below a cluster of trees
around a residential area northwest of Palisade. We did not see it land, but
just lost sight of it. Went to that area but did not seen anything
resembling that bird. I was surprised at how white it appeared on the
underside - and was again impressed with how powerful a stroke they have and
how "built" they appear in flight. Totally unexpected!
Roger Schroeder