[mou] Aitkin County birding last Sunday

Warren Nelson wenelson@mlecmn.net
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:13:16 -0600

  I have decided that bad weather truly is for the birds.  There were a
lot more in the snow on Sunday than in the sunshine on Saturday.  I
found 108 GREAT GRAY OWLS on Sunday, all in the western half of the
county.  I didn't go east of C.R.5.  A few of the better roads: C.R.1
(36 GGOs with 26 of those in one field just north of the diversion
channel),  C.R.24 (18 GGOs), C.R. 78 and twsp380 on the west side of Gun
Lake
(28 GGOs with 22 in one rice paddy just after 380 turns south),  C.R.15
(14 GGOs), C.R.17 (12 GGOs).  Also had 6 NORTHERN HAWK OWLS , two flocks
of BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS (one in Palisade and one in Aitkin), 3 ROUGH-LEGGED
HAWKS, NORTHERN SHRIKES, SNOW BUNTINGS.
 Warren Nelson