[mou] Boreal owl

SeEtta Moss seetta@msn.com
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:48:24 -0700

<P>I stopped at the location identified on the Duluth Listserve last night for the Boreal Owl on H61 expressway north of Duluth.&nbsp;&nbsp;At 11:00 am the&nbsp;owl reported to be northwest of the&nbsp;intersection with Berquist Rd&nbsp;was not at the location at which it had been seen only 30 minutes prior to my arrival according to a birder from Arkansas who had, with others, seen the bird.&nbsp; He told me to go a few hundred yards further south on H61 where a second bird was seen earlier in the week.&nbsp; I did find a Boreal Owl at this location just after 11 am.</P>
<P>This owl was perched on the lowest branch of a ? pine tree and at the end of the branch.&nbsp; It was looking around below it as though trying to locate prey.&nbsp; After a few minutes it left (I was distracted and did not see if it flew down after prey or what direction it went).&nbsp; My understanding is that these owls are "mostly nocturnal"--is it unusual for them to be hunting at mid-day?&nbsp; Is that related to problems with prey?&nbsp;&nbsp; </P>
<P>I went on the Two Harbors to look for the Harlequin Ducks.&nbsp; I had been told I needed to walk out onto the pier going out from the lighthouse but found it much too icy.&nbsp; On the way back to Duluth I looked again for Boreal Owls at both locations reported above and saw none.</P>
<P>For those who are still wavering on traveling here for Great Grey Owls--yesterday when it was cloudy (but not snowy like today) I drove around Aitkin County southwest of Duluth and saw 77 Great Grey Owls, 1 Northern Hawk Owl, 3 adult Bald Eagles and 1 (flyover) Pileated Woodpecker.&nbsp; I also saw a female birder standing less than 20 feet from a Great Grey Owl to take its photo with a large lens camera (must have needed to count its tail feathers) who later flushed an owl she got out to photograph.&nbsp; I know I have seen/heard claims that it doesn't bother these owls for people to be close but I have seen them flush several times when birders just drive up adjacent to them.&nbsp; So either the odds of them flying off coincidentally was amazing high, or some owls are more sensitive to humans or maybe some owls are becoming more sensitive as they are distracted from their hunting by birders and photographers.</P>
<P>I also saw a professional photographer (with 1,000+ mm lens) using a fuzzy prey-like object that he casts out with a fishing pole to get the owl to pounce so he can get better photos.&nbsp; Clearly this will distract owl from their hunting real prey and waste their energy.&nbsp; I think we all need to email the magazines that might be purchasing such photos requesting that they ask their photographers if they used such baiting mechanisms to get their pics.&nbsp; They should also have their photographers sign a form stating they do not use such baiting tactics before they purchase their photos.</P>
<P>Thanks to Minn and other birders for assistance in finding the owls, Black-backed and Three-toed Woodpeckers (saw both in same tree in reported location off Sax Rd yesterday).&nbsp;&nbsp;I will be compiling my expenses and send them in as requested.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>SeEtta Moss</P>
<P>Canon City, Colorado (1st trip to Minn)</P></DIV></div></html>