[mou] Re: Dead Birds

sharonks@mn.rr.com sharonks@mn.rr.com
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:43:13 -0600

Carrol Henderson from MN DNR said that the DNR is currently testing eight dead redpolls.  Early results show that the birds died of something viral rather than fungal which means that chances are it's not from bird seed, although there is a possibility that birds are spreading it to each other at feeders, but given redpoll and siskin behavior they could spread it to each other regardless if they are at bird feeders.  We should have a better idea sometime in the  next week.  I've found some reports on the internet that similar die offs have been occuring in Alaska this winter and salmonella has already been ruled out as the cause http://www.rense.com/general62/redp.htm.

It is still a good idea to clean your feeders whether you have dead birds in your yard or not.  If you cannot thoroughly clean out your bird feeders, throw them away and buy ones that you can clean.

Sharon Stiteler
Minneapolis, MN
www.birdchick.com