[mou] FW: a good experience in Minnesota

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 16:06:38 -0600

Some good experiences and good advice from a birder in Missouri, and she
is from the Show Me state!

Mark Alt=20
MOU President
mark.alt@bestbuy.com
C/O J. F. Bell Museum of Natural History
University of Minnesota
10 Church Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0104
MOU.mn.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean Leonatti [mailto:jleonatti@cmaaa.net]=20
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 4:02 PM
To: mark.alt@bestbuy.com
Cc: smithville4@charter.net
Subject: a good experience in Minnesota

Mr. Alt - I am one of the Missouri birders who used Mike Hendrickson's
guide
services Dec. 30 - Jan. 1 to bird the Duluth area, and points north.  I
have
followed some of the discussion regarding the local reaction to birders
in
the Sax-Zim Bog area and am offering my "two cents worth".

First, I really want to commend Mike Hendrickson.  We had a GREAT TIME
with
him.  He carefully and calmly explained the situation in Sax-Zim Bog -
not
over-blowing it or minimizing it; that there were many locals who
enjoyed
birds and birders, but there were a few who did feel their privacy was
being
invaded.  I think a good guide can go a long way to set the right tone
and
perspective.  He made sure we did not stop at private feeders in the
bog,
and let us know that ahead of time so there were no false expectations.
He
said not to worry, we would have chances at feeders elsewhere, so no one
in
our group got anxious about passing up feeders. We made good use of the
public areas, and we didn't miss any birds that we wanted to see.

Just one time, we had a local pull up along side our stopped van and
shake a
finger at us and tell us we shouldn't be stopped on the shoulder.  Our
driver just smiled and waved and thanked the gentleman, and the
gentleman
drove on - it is kind of hard to have an argument with someone who is
pleasant and who won't argue back! Mike immediately radioed us to find
out
if everything was OK, and we had no other problems.

For our part, we made sure that members of our group knew they were
expected
to buy something at every place we stopped to use the bathrooms.  Even
if it
was just a candy bar or a cup of coffee, they were to spend money.  If
we
were stopped at a gas station, we made sure to fill up the tanks - even
if
we were only topping them off.  It is so discourteous to track snow/mud
across someone's business establishment, use their bathroom, and then
leave
without compensating them in some way.

If enough birders make a point to compensate these businesses, that goes
long way toward creating good feelings toward visitors.  Then these
business-people who see the local economic impact of birders can become
your
"advocate" with the locals. Locals talking to locals usually produces
better
results.  But, it all starts with we birders being ABSOLUTELY SURE that
we
leave a good impression where ever we go.  It is an easy enough thing to
do - besides that, the birding gods may reward you with a lifer!  They
certainly did shine down on us.

Thanks for sharing your great north woods with us.
Jean Leonatti
Columbia, Missouri