[mou] Backyard Great Gray Owl

Laura Erickson chickadee@lauraerickson.com
Tue, 04 Jan 2005 15:26:34 -0600

Yesterday and today I've had one or two Great Gray Owls hanging around my
backyard.  This or these birds are quite different from the
unhealthy-appearing individual that was here on Christmas Eve, which was
browner.  This one (or maybe two different ones) has had an amazing
effect--my feeders are suddenly devoid of squirrels--and people who came
here to see the hummingbird just about all noticed how very many squirrels
feed in my yard.  Yesterday when the Great Gray sat in an aspen tree, a
squirrel on the trunk apparently felt trapped--it seemed reluctant to go on
the ground, where the owl might drop in on him, but couldn't go up because
that would put him in reach of the talons.  So he stayed on the trunk,
chattering, for at least 15 minutes.  He got away when some crows started
divebombing the owl and it flew off.  I did see it drop down at least once
trying to get a squirrel who got away, but don't know if it's had success
at that.  Great Gray Owl feet are small compared to Great Horned Owls, but
their claws are huge and they could dispatch an unwary squirrel.

This is not typical habitat for a Great Gray, and my neighborhood birds,
having no experience with dealing with such a thing, have all been acting
unusual--staying away from the feeders altogether when it's about, mobbing
it, and being more skittish in general.  I saw my first cardinal, Blue Jay,
and Pine Grosbeaks yesterday when they were mobbing it.  And the funniest
thing is seeing a dozen chickadees swarming about its head, looking all the
tinier in comparison.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Producer, "For the Birds" radio program
<http://www.lauraerickson.com/>

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of
birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

                                 --Rachel Carson