[mou] Snowy Owl & other birds

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 20:58:40 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C4F432.7FAEF0D0

 My good friend Jeff Newman from Duluth called me tonight that he heard =
thru second hand that a Snowy Owl was seen at the railroad yard in =
Proctor, Minnesota. I am fairly certain that there will be some birders =
going to check out this sighting to try to locate it. If the owl is =
relocated it will be updated on the MOU listserve.

Jeff also found several flocks of Bohemian Waxwings on the west side of =
Duluth. I would check along Grand Avenue from Norton Park (Zoo area) and =
also in Morgan Park.

Well the Boreal Owls are showing signs of stress. So far in the past two =
days 4 Boreals were found roosting or hunting near roadsides or in =
residential yards.

Along the Pioneer Rd. east of McQuade Rd. there are some spruce trees =
with cones on them and I located 5 White-winged Crossbills feeding among =
them.

I found a Long-tailed Duck (male) among some Common Goldeneyes in =
Burlington Bay on the east side of Two Harbors.

I also got second hand reports in Lake Co (Isabella and Lake Co. Rd 2) =
of Spruce Grouse (14 of them), Black-backed Woodpecker (Sand River and =
Lake Co. Rd 2), Boreal Chickadees behind the Cafe along Hwy 1 in =
Isabella and aa Evening Grosbeak at the feeders at Moose Cafe in =
Isabella.  ( Kim Risen reported these to me and a group from Wisconsin =
as well).  Kim also told me about a Black-backed Woodpecker (2) on the =
southern tip side of the bog on McDavitt Rd.

I'll be out the next three days guiding a group from Arizona.=20

Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Minnesota Birding Treks
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C4F432.7FAEF0D0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>&nbsp;My good friend Jeff =
Newman from=20
Duluth called me tonight that he heard thru second hand that a Snowy Owl =
was=20
seen at the railroad yard in Proctor, Minnesota. I am fairly certain =
that there=20
will be some birders going to check out this sighting to try to locate =
it. If=20
the owl is relocated it will be updated on the MOU =
listserve.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Jeff also found several =
flocks of=20
Bohemian Waxwings on the west side of Duluth. I would check along Grand =
Avenue=20
from Norton Park (Zoo area) and also in Morgan Park.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Well the Boreal Owls are =
showing signs of=20
stress. So far in the past two days 4 Boreals were found roosting or =
hunting=20
near roadsides or in residential yards.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Along the Pioneer Rd. east of =
McQuade Rd.=20
there are some spruce trees with cones on them and I located 5 =
White-winged=20
Crossbills feeding among them.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>I found a Long-tailed Duck=20
(male)&nbsp;among some Common Goldeneyes in Burlington Bay on the east =
side of=20
Two Harbors.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>I also got second hand =
reports in Lake Co=20
(Isabella and Lake Co. Rd 2) of Spruce Grouse (14 of them), Black-backed =

Woodpecker (Sand River and Lake Co. Rd 2), Boreal Chickadees behind the =
Cafe=20
along Hwy 1 in Isabella and aa Evening Grosbeak at the feeders at Moose =
Cafe in=20
Isabella.&nbsp; ( Kim Risen reported these to me and a group from =
Wisconsin as=20
well).&nbsp; Kim also told me about a Black-backed Woodpecker (2) on the =

southern tip&nbsp;side of the bog on McDavitt Rd.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>I'll be out the next three =
days guiding a=20
group from Arizona.</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Michael =
Hendrickson<BR>Duluth,=20
Minnesota<BR>Minnesota Birding Treks<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/">http://webpages.chart=
er.net/mmhendrickson/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C4F432.7FAEF0D0--