[mou] Some Birding tourism dollar data.

Patrick McNulty mcnulty@gte.net
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:57:16 -0800

Randy,

Knowing how I can procrastinate on cleaning everything up when i return from
a trip, there is no telling
when I might finally give you a detailed accounting, so I will just give you
some rough info now while the spirit is moving, and you can maybe get the
first line filled in on your spreadsheet..

My big Christmas present this year is that I am flying to Minneapolis from
Santa Barbara on Friday morning, Jan 14, renting a car and driving to a
motel in Duluth, and flying back on Tuesday Jan 18.  Motel about $220,  car
$140, airfare about $320.  If history is any guide, I'll spend $10-15/day on
food before 6pm and another $25 after 6 pm on food, drink, and perhaps pool
tables if I find any.  I'm just guessing, but I'll probably drive 4-500
miles, so whatever it costs for gas there in a rental car for 500 miles.
When I was there for the first time, in April '02, I hired a guide for the
first time in my life since I wasn't finding anything, a very nice guy, and
paid him $120 to take me around for about 5 hours.  He found us my life
woodcocks displaying, which was great, but another large part of his value
was in demonstrating to me that I wasn't as dumb as I feared, since he
coundn't find any of the other targets either. Then I found my own the next
day by using all of his good advice, and that was great too.  I don't expect
to pay a guide this time, since I hope to be able to find my birds just
using all the great info on this list (the postings on MOU-net are the
direct cause of me coming to MN to spend money), but I may spend $20 in
Kinko's or someplace else with internet connection to check this list and
see if anyone still trusts me enough to post a Boreal Owl sighting if I
haven't found one by Sunday.  (Although I would rather not see my life
Boreal Owl than do anything which would substantially contribute to its
death, I do not think that I am disturbing the birds I see any more than is
the rest of their daily experience;  if I do seem to be perturbing the bird,
I will leave.)  (On reading Michael Hendrickson's summary of birder's
behavior locally, I'm thinking that there might be a potential research
project in testing whether birders migrating to areas with sub-zero
temperatures are significantly better behaved than birders visiting areas
with temperatures over 70 degrees.  Or actually, I think the hypothesis
should not be about the average birder's behavior, which is pretty good
everywhere, but about a significant reduction in outlier-point jerks, since
they are too self-indulgent to put up with your climate.)  And I'll spend at
least another $20-50 on books, maps, and whatever else I can't resist.  Or
choose not to resist, since I'm out birding alone and, as my wife says, off
the leash.

Patrick McNulty
Santa Barbara, CA