[mou] Regarding starving boreal owls

Howard Weinberg hjw_forest@yahoo.com
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:56:55 -0800 (PST)

--0-114628026-1105541815=:761

I just read the Mark Alt/Steve Wilson email about starving boreal owls.  I would like to ask the list serve what perhaps is a dumb question.  Would a Boreal Owl eat a strip of meat if it was left out or does the "prey" need to be moving to get the Owl's attention?  I would gladly leave some strips of meat out before i left for work if an owl would take it.  I did it for a GGO that was in the yard, but he didn't go for it.  Blue jays on the other hand were happy to carry it away and munch on it and chickadees pecked at it as well.  I will keep the feeders stocked with seed as Steve suggests (for mice).

Wishing i could do more for what i know is a sad but real part of nature.
Howard in Duluth