[mou] My two cents worth: the winter of owls

Laura Erickson bluejay@lauraerickson.com
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:22:22 -0600

Bill Lane gives us some wonderful insights into the Boreal Owl life
cycle.  The more I learn about birds, and human beings, the more awestruck
I am at the sheer complexity of this tiny planet.  How should we be
reacting to this owl invasion?  Or is this phenomenon simply too beautiful
and awe-inspiring and thrilling and interesting and fascinating and tragic
and heart-breaking and devastating to even imagine there could be a right
way or a wrong way to interpret it, or to feel about it, or to learn from it?

I'm fielding so many phone calls--now averaging over 10 a day--about this
irruption that I've come to the conclusion that there are as many ways to
see and interpret and understand it as there are people.  Those who have
never before seen an owl are understandably thrilled to see their first
Great Gray.  Some people are devastated to find them dead.  A woman called
yesterday sobbing because she found a dead Boreal Owl on her porch.  Should
this woman, who never even knew such a tiny owl existed until one came to
her home to die, be ridiculed for her tears, or for not knowing more about
nature?  Would it change your reaction to know that she is a doctor, who
knows a lot about something else?

Are compassion and science compatible?  When I was researching nighthawks
for my Ph.D. project (which I didn't finish because my professor had to
retire early for health reasons), I came upon a paper by Joe T. Marshall of
the Smithsonian.  After learning of Edward Jaeger's discovery of
hibernating Poor-wills, Marshall wanted to see if he could induce
hibernation in other Caprimulgids, so he took some captive, hand-reared
nighthawks and withheld food in fall as temperatures and day length
decreased.  After several days, he stopped the experiment, so touched was
he by their plaintive cries for food.  He never learned the answer to his
scientific inquiry, but I learned quite a bit about how to measure a
man.  Yet at the same time Dr. Marshall was working on this, scientists
were learning via "exsanguination" experiments that birds could lose much
more blood than mammals before their blood pressure dropped, they went into
shock, and they died.  Scientists were learning that redpolls can survive
colder temperatures than any other songbirds, including ravens, by putting
them in deep freezers and recording at which temperature each bird
died--redpolls made it to -80.  Is it ironic that someone might find these
facts fascinating when she has, in the judgment of some people, way too
much compassion vs. scientific detachment, and way too much of an impulse
to intervene when coming face to face with the suffering of a fellow
creature who meets her eyes?  Is it ironic that when brought owl carcasses,
she sends them on for study and analysis?

That's the trick with us humans.  We have a mind, and I'm seeing a lot of
people filling their minds with a lot of interesting things during this owl
invasion.  We also have a heart.  And we can use our minds to temper our
hearts, and we can use our hearts to temper our minds.  Should we expend
time and energy on wildlife rehabilitation that helps a few or habitat
preservation that helps many?  Or might there be room to do both?  Is
giving a mouse, or setting out a bird house, or banding a bird, or watching
an owl from a running car, too much intervention?  Where do we draw
lines?  Does a scientific approach automatically trump a compassionate
one?  Do we see a difference in the naturalness of a major mouse population
crash that is somehow different from the naturalness of a major tree
blow-down?  How is giving a mouse to a hungry owl, or delivering a starving
owl to the Raptor Center, different from setting out bird boxes?  Aren't
both interventions?

The one thing this winter is teaching me is that there are a lot more
questions than answers.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Producer, "For the Birds" radio program
<http://www.lauraerickson.com/>

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of
birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

                                 --Rachel Carson