[mou] Clarks Nutcracker - St Louis Cty

Kim R Eckert kreckert@cpinternet.com
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 09:49:46 -0600

--Apple-Mail-2-795451645

To elaborate on the Clark's Nutcracker (and other birds):

- The nutcracker was found by Mike Overton and a group from Texas about=20=

8:30 this morning. I just talked to Mike who said he could provide no=20
other landmarks. As Don posted, it was about 4 - 4.5 mi  (just an=20
estimate from Mike) up Scenic Hwy 61, which would be near the McQuade=20
Rd junction.

- Snowy Owl updates: As Dave Benson posted on the Duluth Birding=20
Report, the two Snowy Owls reported earlier were relocated yesterday,=20
14 Jan. One was seen by Mike Overton around mid-day in Proctor in the=20
railroad yards, which are along U S Hwy 2 just N of downtown.

The other was seen in the afternoon by an incoming Northwest=20
passenger/birder as the plane landed. It was along the N side of the=20
runway, and it could also be distantly seen from the observation=20
windows on the second level of the airport terminal. It might also be=20
possible to see the owl from the end of Stebner Rd which turns E off=20
Hwy 194 and dead-ends at the W end of the runway, though an attempt to=20=

do this yesterday yielded no sighting. If you try this, however, be=20
aware you may encounter airport security personnel asking you to leave=20=

(even though this is a public road).

- A Boreal Owl was spotted yesterday mid-afternoon by Frank Nicoletti=20
as it flew past 16th Ave East & London Rd. It was relocated by others a=20=

short time later near the corner of 17th Ave East & Superior St, but it=20=

was gone by dusk.

- Kim Eckert

On Jan 15, 2005, at 9:26 AM, Don Kienholz wrote:

> I just received a call from Mike Hendrickson that a Clarks Nutcracker=20=

> was found this morning. The location is on Scenic Hwy 61,
> 4.5 miles from where the scenic 61 leaves the Express 61 North of=20
> Duluth. The bird was on the Left or inland side of the road. I do not=20=

> have the name of the person or persons who first called Mike and=20
> reported the bird. He called me from his cell in the SazZim bog.
> =A0
> --- Don Kienholz
> --- dkienholz at earthlink.net
> --- EarthLink: The #1 provider of the Real Internet.
> =A0

--Apple-Mail-2-795451645

To elaborate on the Clark's Nutcracker (and other birds):

- The nutcracker was found by Mike Overton and a group from Texas
about 8:30 this morning. I just talked to Mike who said he could
provide no other landmarks. As Don posted, it was about 4 - 4.5 mi=20
(just an estimate from Mike) up Scenic Hwy 61, which would be near the
McQuade Rd junction.

- Snowy Owl updates: As Dave Benson posted on the Duluth Birding
Report, the two Snowy Owls reported earlier were relocated yesterday,
14 Jan. One was seen by Mike Overton around mid-day in Proctor in the
railroad yards, which are along U S Hwy 2 just N of downtown.=20

The other was seen in the afternoon by an incoming Northwest
passenger/birder as the plane landed. It was along the N side of the
runway, and it could also be distantly seen from the observation
windows on the second level of the airport terminal. It might also be
possible to see the owl from the end of Stebner Rd which turns E off
Hwy 194 and dead-ends at the W end of the runway, though an attempt to
do this yesterday yielded no sighting. If you try this, however, be
aware you may encounter airport security personnel asking you to leave
(even though this is a public road).

- A Boreal Owl was spotted yesterday mid-afternoon by Frank Nicoletti
as it flew past 16th Ave East & London Rd. It was relocated by others
a short time later near the corner of 17th Ave East & Superior St, but
it was gone by dusk.

- Kim Eckert

       =20