[mou] Owls away from ditches

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 07:42:23 -0600

Bruce Pomeroy wrote:

I went to Carlton county on Saturday, and the owls were not as=20
abundant as in the recent past.  They were a lot harder to locate, and I

agree that they are by out buildings and out in the fields, not by the=20
ditches.  The snow is very deep in the ditches and the birds have
changed=20
their tactics some...most of the birds were not in the same spot later
when=20
we returned through and the northern hawk owls have been  scarce.  This=20
weekend I only found 13 GGOW's, whereas the week before I had found over
50=20
on Saturday and 48 on Sunday. I drove all over Carlton county and the=20
farther south I went the more owls I found.

Bruce says the Owls he has seen have been away from ditches and more
towards farm buildings and fields now. Perhaps this is due to snow
plowing? The ditches are full of hard pack plowed into them. I am not
sure about this at all, as nearly half the Owls I saw were on roadside
wires or poles, but it is a thought.

Mark Alt=20
Brooklyn Center, MN=20
mark.alt@bestbuy.com=20
"I recalled that I had read somewhere that in the Middle Ages Hell was
envisioned as a place without birds." Jim Harrison=20