[mou] Territorial behavior exhibited by Great Gray Owl Pine County

Terence Brashear birdnird@yahoo.com
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:35:16 -0800 (PST)

Hi

Since my daughter and I were off for the holiday on
Monday I packed her up in the car and we went to Pine
County to look for owls.  We ended up seeing nine
Great Gray Owls in Pine County and one on 35W just
north of Hinckley, MN.

What was really interesting was watching one Great
Gray Owl that was perched on the west side of a
section suddenly make a bee line for another Great
Gray Owl that flew in and perched on the east side of
the section near us; traveling one mile in distance.

The attacking Great Gray Owl drove the other bird
away.

I have seen Great Gray Owls in past irruptions totally
ignore other birds in the area.  This is the first
time I have seen, what I perceived as, territory
establishment in this species during irruption years.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Regards,

Terry