[mou] Snowy Owl

Steve and Sherry Watson watsup@boreal.org
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:55:47 -0800

Hello All,
     I'm sorry I wasn't able to post this sooner but on the 19th I was
down in Duluth searching for the snowy owl at the Duluth International
Airport and even after observing from the observation lounge and near
the watch tower I was unable to locate it.  However while I was looking
for the owl I watched a very classic Gyrfalcon fly over the airport
heading north.  When I first spied the very large bird I thought Wow,
looks like a large buteo and for a brief moment I thought it might be a
rough-legged hawk.  But then I noticed its really long tail, and blunt
pointy wings (blunt in comparison to a peregrine falcon as they are
sharply pointed to that of a gyr).  It was a very large bulky bird and
glided over the runways with its wings swept back and flew very much
like a falcon.  It had swift powerful wing beats though not as swift as
any accipiter I've ever seen, and then glided with a perfect falcon
form.  I flew by close enough I was able to see its light underside and
grey barring on the sides of its breast and some on its flanks.  Its
upperparts were overall grey and its wing tips dark.  It was a very good
look as it flew by and out of sight to the north.  Again it was bulky
like a buteo but flew and had a falcon shape.  Again I'm sorry I was
unable to post this any sooner.  Good birding,

Josh Watson
Grand Marais