[mou] Jan 23rd birds & other stuff.

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:45:07 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C50173.471914A0

Here is what I learned about Great Gray Owls in Sax Zim.  I was up there =
last Saturday and looked very hard for a Great Gray Owl. My group did =
not find any nor have any other groups found any.  Then on that evening =
some of the same birding group went back up to Sax Zim and found nearly =
30 Great Grays.  The day was a nice sunny day with some wind but not to =
bad. No owls were found then in the evening they came out of the wood =
work!=20

Also today was a partly cloudy day with sun and I heard of a group that =
found 5 Great Gray Owls. So it might be best to go and look for owls =
either on cloudy days or dusk.  It is interesting to note that on =
previous trips in late December and early January it didn't matter the =
sky conditions or winds, the owls were every where hunting during the =
day.  =20

Birds Today:

-No Spruce Grouse (no one reported seeing any as well) Lake Co.
* Isabella "Moose Ridge Cafe"  Pine Grosbeaks, Evening Grosbeak and lots =
of Common Redpolls.  As a practice all my groups I led have donated =
money for the feed the owner uses to keep the feeders filled.  Also no =
one in my group found the Boreal Chickadees at the feeders but some =
Indiana birders reported to me they saw them.

* Boreal Owl in Two Harbors ( seen by several birders ) Same bird as =
yesterday.

* Hoary Redpoll in Two Harbors. I also got reports from other birders =
finding them in in flocks of Common Redpolls on roads and feeders in Sax =
Zim.  They can be found by searching large flocks of Common Redpolls.

-Bohemian Waxwings along Triggs and Toledo Street. (Kim Eckert's  =
Minnesota Birding Weekend group found them for us)  Triggs Ave. is on =
the south side of Arrowhead Rd in Duluth.

* A Townsend Solitaire was reported by some Indiana birders on 40th Ave. =
East and Cooke St.  The bird was found at 1pm today right on the corner. =
There is a large cedar tree that it was associated with. In the =
neighborhood there is several buckthorn bushes that it might be feeding =
on.=20

Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Minnesota Birding Treks
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C50173.471914A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Here is what I learned about =
Great Gray=20
Owls in Sax Zim.&nbsp; I was up there last Saturday and looked very hard =
for a=20
Great Gray Owl. My group did not find any nor have any other groups =
found=20
any.&nbsp; Then on that evening some of the same birding group went back =
up to=20
Sax Zim and found nearly 30 Great Grays.&nbsp; The day was a nice sunny =
day with=20
some wind but not to bad. No owls were found then in the evening they =
came out=20
of the wood work! </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Also today was a partly =
cloudy day with=20
sun and I heard of a group that found 5 Great Gray Owls. So it might be =
best to=20
go and look for owls either on cloudy days or dusk.&nbsp; It is =
interesting to=20
note that on previous trips in late December and early January it didn't =
matter=20
the sky conditions or winds, the owls were every where hunting during =
the=20
day.&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Birds Today:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-No Spruce Grouse (no one =
reported seeing=20
any as well) Lake Co.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>* Isabella "Moose Ridge =
Cafe"&nbsp; Pine=20
Grosbeaks, Evening Grosbeak and lots of Common Redpolls.&nbsp; As a =
practice all=20
my groups I led have donated money for the feed the owner uses to keep =
the=20
feeders filled.&nbsp; Also no one in my group found the Boreal =
Chickadees at the=20
feeders but some Indiana birders reported to me they saw =
them.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>* Boreal Owl in Two Harbors ( =
seen by=20
several birders ) Same bird as yesterday.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>* Hoary Redpoll in Two =
Harbors. I=20
also&nbsp;got reports from other birders finding them in in flocks of =
Common=20
Redpolls on roads and feeders in Sax Zim.&nbsp; They can be found by =
searching=20
large flocks of Common Redpolls.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Bohemian Waxwings along =
Triggs and=20
Toledo Street. (Kim Eckert's&nbsp; Minnesota Birding Weekend group found =
them=20
for us)&nbsp; Triggs Ave. is on the south side of Arrowhead Rd in=20
Duluth.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>* A Townsend Solitaire was =
reported by=20
some Indiana birders on 40th Ave. East and Cooke St.&nbsp; The bird was =
found at=20
1pm today right on the corner. There is a large cedar tree that it was=20
associated with. In the neighborhood there is several buckthorn bushes =
that it=20
might be&nbsp;feeding on.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Michael =
Hendrickson<BR>Duluth,=20
Minnesota<BR>Minnesota Birding Treks<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/">http://webpages.chart=
er.net/mmhendrickson/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C50173.471914A0--