[mou] Jan.27-29 Birds

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 20:11:41 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C5063E.BF082C10

Jan 27th Highlights
-Black-backed Woodpecker (McDavitt Rd)
-Townsend Solitaire (40th Ave. East and Cooke St.)
-Hoary Redpoll

Jan 28th Highlights
-Boreal Chickadee (feeding at the suet feeder in Isabella)
-Red Crossbills (feeding on Hwy. 1 near Spruce Rd.)
-Goshawk (fly over along Lax Lake Rd. Lake Co.)
-Bohemian Waxwings (near the greenhouses along main drag in Two Harbors, =
Mn)
-Snowy Owls=20
1) Female type Snowy Owl along fence line north of Swan Lake Rd. =
(Airport area)
2) Male Snowy Owl on UHAUL sign north of Haine Rd. intersection along =
Hwy. 53.=20
* I don't understand why security forces are asking birders to leave the =
shoulders from Stebner Rd east of Hwy 53. This is a public road that =
borders the south side of the prison yard.  This maybe the reason but it =
doesn't make sense to me.  Stebner road changes its name to Airport =
Approach Rd after you cross Swan Lake Rd.  Airport Approach road leads =
you to several business like Federal Express, Cirrus Design and a few =
others.  Do not drive down the road that leads you to the air traffic =
control tower. The parking area is private and maybe birders are getting =
booted from this road?.  I feel its okay or should be okay to bird from =
the parking lot of Federal Express and along the shoulder of Swan Lake =
Rd. or Airport Approach Rd.  I was there one night and while the shift =
change was occurring at Cirrus Design, workers were stopping along the =
shoulder to view the male snowy owl on top of the telephone pole. We =
were not the only ones looking at the owl.  Unless I hear differently =
these roads are public roads unless the prison officials have issues =
with birders with scopes near their property (?)

Jan 29
-Black-backed Woodpecker (McDavitt Rd) * Some birder hung a large red =
onion bag filled with suet across the snow shoe trail on McDavitt along =
the clear cut on east side of the road. Saw a mink feeding on it.=20
-Sharp-tailed Grouse (Co. Rd 7 one mile north of Co. Rd 52 in Sax Zim =
Bog area on west side of road)
-Glaucous Gull & Thayers Gulls

Other birds:
Common Redpolls, Pine Grosbeaks, Northern Shrike, Great Gray owls, Hawk =
Owls, Barred Owl, Harlequin Ducks, Pine Siskins, Robins, Bald Eagles, =
Gray Jays and other winter residents.

Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Minnesota Birding Treks
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C5063E.BF082C10

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Jan 27th =
Highlights</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Black-backed Woodpecker =
(McDavitt=20
Rd)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Townsend Solitaire (40th =
Ave. East and=20
Cooke St.)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Hoary Redpoll</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Jan 28th =
Highlights</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Boreal Chickadee (feeding at =
the suet=20
feeder in Isabella)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Red Crossbills (feeding on =
Hwy. 1 near=20
Spruce Rd.)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Goshawk (fly over along Lax =
Lake Rd.=20
Lake Co.)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Bohemian Waxwings (near the =
greenhouses=20
along main drag in Two Harbors, Mn)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Snowy Owls </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>1) Female type Snowy Owl =
along fence line=20
north of Swan Lake Rd. (Airport area)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>2) Male Snowy Owl on UHAUL =
sign north of=20
Haine Rd. intersection along Hwy. 53. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>* I don't understand why =
security forces=20
are asking birders to leave the shoulders from Stebner Rd east of Hwy =
53. This=20
is a public road that borders the south side of the prison yard.&nbsp; =
This=20
maybe the reason but it doesn't make sense to me.&nbsp; Stebner road =
changes its=20
name to Airport Approach Rd after you cross Swan Lake Rd.&nbsp; Airport =
Approach=20
road leads you to several business like Federal Express, Cirrus Design =
and a few=20
others.&nbsp; Do not drive down the road that leads you to the air =
traffic=20
control tower. The parking area is private and maybe birders are getting =
booted=20
from this road?.&nbsp; I feel its okay or should be okay to bird from =
the=20
parking lot of Federal Express and along the shoulder of Swan Lake Rd. =
or=20
Airport Approach Rd.&nbsp; I was there one night and while the shift =
change was=20
occurring at Cirrus Design,&nbsp;workers were stopping along the =
shoulder to=20
view the male snowy owl on top of the telephone pole. We were not the =
only ones=20
looking at the owl.&nbsp;&nbsp;Unless I hear differently these roads are =
public=20
roads unless the prison officials have issues with birders with =
scopes&nbsp;near=20
their property (?)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Jan 29</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Black-backed Woodpecker =
(McDavitt Rd) *=20
Some birder hung a large red onion bag filled with suet across =
the&nbsp;snow=20
shoe trail on McDavitt along the&nbsp;clear cut&nbsp;on east side =
of&nbsp;the=20
road. Saw a mink feeding on it.</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Sharp-tailed Grouse (Co. Rd =
7 one mile=20
north of Co. Rd 52 in Sax Zim Bog area on west side of =
road)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Glaucous Gull &amp; Thayers=20
Gulls</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Other birds:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Common Redpolls, Pine =
Grosbeaks, Northern=20
Shrike, Great Gray owls, Hawk Owls, Barred Owl, Harlequin Ducks, Pine =
Siskins,=20
Robins, Bald Eagles, Gray Jays and other winter residents.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Michael =
Hendrickson<BR>Duluth,=20
Minnesota<BR>Minnesota Birding Treks<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/">http://webpages.chart=
er.net/mmhendrickson/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C5063E.BF082C10--