[mou] Possible St. Louis River Dipper

Laura Erickson chickadee@lauraerickson.com
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:08:14 -0600

Yesterday afternoon and today I was birding with a couple from the state of
Washington.  Tonight she mentioned that on their way into Duluth yesterday,
going north on I-35, crossing a bridge (over the St. Louis River?) she
looked out at the ice and saw a North American Dipper.  Being from the
mountains in Washington, this didn't strike her as unusual until tonight
when she was reading Kim Eckert's book.  But I've spent enough time with
her to know she's got a keen eye and is quite good at
recognition.  Unfortunately, because she didn't realize the unlikelihood of
a dipper around here, she didn't pay close attention to exactly where they
were when she saw it.  But we should certainly be keeping a close
watch.  She said this bird was on the ice, and noted that she sees many
dippers feeding from the ice in Washington.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Producer, "For the Birds" radio program
<http://www.lauraerickson.com/>

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of
birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

                                 --Rachel Carson