[mou] NW Chisago County - not much there

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:49:44 -0600

I spent all day Saturday traveling the roads of northern Chisago and NE
Anoka County west of HWY 35, seeing very little. I am convinced that the
swarm of Great Grays is not yet in this region, but the good news is
there is tremendous habitat here for them, especially north of Hwy 22
heading west from Wyoming. There is a loop that goes north on CR 75
around Ryan Lake Road that looks very much like the area around Oak Lake
in Pine County where there have been so many seen in the last month. In
Pine County the leading edge of the Owls seems to have moved south about
25 miles a week since December, so they may make it to Wyoming by, let's
see, Mid February? This is all conjecture on my part, but they have been
remarkably predictable and consistent so far. The one Hawk Owl seen in
Chisago is also consistent with the sightings in Pine County, where Hawk
Owls showed up several weeks ahead of the front line of the invasion. We
need people to keep on checking the areas where they aren't and
reporting, for it is as important as where they are seen right now. I
did find a Great Horned Owl, 5 Northern Shrikes and two Rough-Legged
Hawks. There are many swampy areas, some Tamarack and many areas of
mixed pine and aspen, as well as jack pine. Good Birding.

Mark Alt=20
Brooklyn Center, MN=20
mark.alt@bestbuy.com=20
"I recalled that I had read somewhere that in the Middle Ages Hell was
envisioned as a place without birds." Jim Harrison=20