[mou] Looked for Dipper (Duluth). No, but.....

Jim Barrett jwbarrett10@msn.com
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:11:54 -0600

I looked this morning, without success,  for the possible American Dipper
reported yesterday.

After corresponding with Laura Erickson about the original report, it seemed
likely the St. Louis River was, in fact, the probable location.

Access to the river in this locale is difficult.  Easiest is the parking lot
behind the River Inn, at the Scanlon/MN 45 exit.  If you stand on top of the
plowed snowbank on the perimeter of the parking lot you can get a decent
view of the river downstream.  There are a couple open pools/rapids that you
can scan by spotting scope.  The best one, however, is below the I-35
bridge, and it extends beyond your view from this access point.

Probably best (and this is yet to be determined) would be to park along Hwy.
45 (I need to check w/ the State Patrol about the legality) and to snowshoe
in to the rapids below the I-35 bridge).

I'll try to check it out later today, or tomorrow.

There was a N. Shrike that zipped across the parking lot of the River Inn
while I was there, and perched atop a fir tree nearby.  So I had that going
for me!

Jim Barrett
Duluth