[mou] Need ID help

Sam Smyrk savagehenry1@hotmail.com
Fri, 01 Jul 2005 20:04:14 -0500

A friend and I were hiking at Carver Park Reserve this afternoon and at
about 5:30 pm we spotted a bird which we had not seen before.  Infact I
don't recall ever even seeing a picture of the bird.  We paged through our
National Geographic Field Guide to Birds and were unable to find anything
close to what we were looking at.  We studied the bird for fifteen minutes
through our binocs at 15 yards or less as it flew between ash trees near us.
  About ten minutes later we saw a pair pearched on low vegitation just
outside of a marsh area.

The bird was a bit larger than a sparrow, most of its body was black aside
from a white crown that started halfway across the top of the head (similar
to a bufflehead but not so far down the cheek)  It had white stripes on each
shoulder forming a V on its back.  The bird also had a white stripe down its
lower back and tail.  This bird was definately not a woodpecker although at
first glance (in flight) I thought it was a female downy.

This bird may very well be common, but as I am not incredibly bird savy and
it was not in my book, I thought I would bring it up.  If anyone has an idea
as to what this may have been please let me know.