[mou] Waseca Cty: Henslows's (yawn), and missing pieces refound

Julian Sellers JulianSellers@msn.com
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 23:58:03 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0039_01C581BD.61770800

The Henslow's Sparrow was in planted prairie of a WMA that, I think, has =
not been burned since it was planted about five years ago.  Its singing =
perches, however, were live plants.  The location is the west side of CR =
4, NE of Waseca.  A dirt road goes between the WMA and a hayfield 0.3 =
miles N of the entrance to Blowers Park, on the opposite side of CR 4.  =
A couple of hundred yards from CR 4, the dirt road makes a 90 degree =
right turn.  The Henslow's was on the left, two-thirds of the way to the =
right turn.  I saw it fly to the ground with another sparrow that may =
have been its mate.  There were a good many Savannah and a few =
Grasshopper Sparrows there also, mostly in the recently mown hayfield on =
the right side.

What really got me excited, however, was a pair of Swainson's Hawks in =
the area where I had last seen one in July, 2003.  Those elegant masters =
of the prairie winds seem to spend a lot of time cruising the upper =
reaches of the atmosphere.  I happened by as they were just beginning =
their ascent.

It was also reassuring to find a pair of Red-headed Woodpeckers.

In Courthouse Park, six Wood Thrushes were singing, I saw or heard four =
Scarlet Tanagers, and I heard a Yellow-billed Cuckoo near where Craig =
Mandel reported that species a few weeks ago.

Julian Sellers
St. Paul
------=_NextPart_000_0039_01C581BD.61770800

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>The Henslow's Sparrow was in planted prairie of =
a=20
WMA&nbsp;that, I think, has not been burned since it was planted about=20
five&nbsp;years ago.&nbsp; Its singing perches, however, were live =
plants.&nbsp;=20
The location is&nbsp;the&nbsp;west side of&nbsp;CR 4, NE of =
Waseca.&nbsp; A dirt=20
road goes between the WMA and a hayfield 0.3 miles N of the entrance to =
Blowers=20
Park, on the opposite side of CR 4.&nbsp; A couple of hundred yards from =
CR 4,=20
the dirt road makes a 90 degree right turn.&nbsp; The Henslow's was on =
the left,=20
two-thirds of the way to the right turn.&nbsp; I saw it&nbsp;fly&nbsp;to =
the=20
ground&nbsp;with another sparrow that may have been its mate.&nbsp; =
There were a=20
good many Savannah and a few Grasshopper Sparrows there also, mostly in =
the=20
recently mown hayfield on the right side.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>What really got me excited, however, was&nbsp;a =
pair of=20
Swainson's Hawks in the area where I had last seen one in July, =
2003.&nbsp;=20
Those elegant masters of the prairie winds seem to spend a lot of time =
cruising=20
the upper reaches of the atmosphere.&nbsp; I happened by as they were =
just=20
beginning their ascent.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>It was also reassuring to find a pair of =
Red-headed=20
Woodpeckers.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>In Courthouse Park, six Wood Thrushes were =
singing, I saw=20
or heard four Scarlet Tanagers, and I heard a Yellow-billed =
Cuckoo&nbsp;near=20
where&nbsp;Craig Mandel reported that species a few weeks =
ago.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Julian Sellers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>St. Paul</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0039_01C581BD.61770800--