[mou] Clark's Grebe/Douglas County

Dan & Sandy Thimgan thimgan@digitaljam.com
Sat, 09 Jul 2005 15:19:39 -0500

We tried UNsuccessfully to refind the Clark's Grebe(s) spotted by Jesse and
Alex Ellis on Lake Osakis in Douglas county today (Saturday).  We watched
for a total of about two hours (both before and after lunch).  There were
Western Grebes to be seen diving near and far, but we couldn't ever get the
Clark's to sit up for us, unfortunately.

We did meet some nice people though, and it was cool to see many of the
above-mentioned Grebes feeding their chicks.  And, speaking of chick-food,
you might like the food and ambience at the Osakis eatery/tourist trap
called "Just Like Grandma's."  We did.

What follows are Jesse Ellis's directions to the public boat access at the
extreme northwest edge of Lake Osakis:

"This is NOT the boat launch within
the town of Osakis.  County Road 10 borders the west side of the lake
within Douglas Co, and turns into Todd Co. Rd 1.  The boat launch is on
this rd, just within Douglas Co.  From Osakis, take CR 3 north from town 1
mile and turn right (East) on CR 10.  The boat launch is a little over 2
miles from this intersection."

Dan & Sandy Thimgan
Otter Tail County
Battle Lake, MN