[mou] Clark's Grebe, Lake Osakis, Douglas County

Scott Meyer darkwolfsaga@yahoo.com
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 14:39:33 -0700 (PDT)

On 7/10/05, Doug Kieser, Jim Otto and I located a
Clark's Grebe on Lake Osakis at approximately 11:00
AM.  The bird was seen at the public boat landing in
the the town of Osakis on the Douglas County side.
This boat landing is not the same as reported by Jesse
Ellis, but instead is the main landing on the southern
end of the lake, within the town of Osakis.

The bird was with Western Grebes and moved from a
point directly north of the boat landing, westerly
into the reeded bay in the southwest corner of the
lake.  The bird was initially spotted at some
distance, but gradually moved closer to shore, and
provided very good viewing in which the the white
could be easily be seen above the eye and the bill was
bright yellow.

  Another Grebe located with the Clark's Grebe showed
an intermediary boundary of black going through the
eye of the bird.

Prior to spotting this bird we checked the previous
reported location on the western portion of the lake.
This area had many Western Grebes, but we were unable
to find any Clark's Grebes at this location. Some
might have been present, but viewing was back toward
the sun presenting back lite conditions.

Other birds seen in large numbers were Red-necked
Grebes.

Scott B. Meyer

http://auctions.yahoo.com/