[mou] Brown Pelican...Jackson County

Conny Brunell connybrunell@earthlink.net
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:47:14 -0500

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

This morning Susan Schumacher and I drove down to Jackson County to see if the Brown Pelican had stayed overnight.  We arrived at the suggested site on the East Shore at Linda Fries residence, and she cheerfully greeted us welcoming us to take a look from her dock.  There were no Pelicans there at all.  So we decided to drive over on the county line road running east and west (100th St.) on the north end of Big Spirit Lake where the north side is Minnesota, and the south side is Iowa.  This is the spot where the Black-headed Gull usually loafs in the bay at the fishing pier, or on the rocks out on the jetty.  As soon as we pulled up we could see the Brown Pelican roosting on the jetty rocks among the 5 American White Pelicans, and numerous Gulls.

Dave Thurston had arrived just before us, and we set up our scopes prepared to will it across the road into Minnesota at 8:45 am.  Shortly after 10 Bill Litkey joined the group and the 4 of us sat watching the Brown Pelican stretch, preen, and sleep-sleep-sleep!  Finally at 12:15pm it dropped down off the rock into the water then took flight circling out over Big Spirit Lake for awhile.  It returned to fly over the jetty, and the bay from Iowa over the road into Minnesota and land in the middle of the lake.  We watched it there at relatively close range until 12:30, and it was still there when we left.  You never saw 4 adults so happy, to jump with joy at waiting it out for this wayward visitor to cross into Jackson County!!!!

Conny Brunell
connybrunell@earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

<HTML style="FONT-SIZE: x-small; FONT-FAMILY: MS Sans Serif"><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1251">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2668" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>This morning Susan Schumacher and I drove down to Jackson County to see if the Brown Pelican had stayed overnight.&nbsp; We arrived at the suggested site on the East Shore at Linda Fries residence, and she cheerfully greeted us welcoming us to take a look from her dock.&nbsp; There were no Pelicans there at all.&nbsp; So we decided to drive over on the county line road running east and west (100th St.)&nbsp;on the north end of Big Spirit Lake where the north side is Minnesota, and the south side is Iowa.&nbsp; This is the spot where the Black-headed Gull usually loafs in the bay at the fishing pier, or on the rocks out on the jetty.&nbsp; As soon as we pulled up we could see the Brown Pelican roosting on the jetty rocks among the 5 American White Pelicans, and numerous Gulls.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dave Thurston had arrived just before us, and we set up our scopes prepared to will it across the road into Minnesota at 8:45 am.&nbsp; Shortly after 10 Bill Litkey joined the group and the 4 of us sat watching the Brown Pelican stretch, preen, and sleep-sleep-sleep!&nbsp; Finally at 12:15pm it dropped down off the rock into the water then took flight circling out over Big Spirit Lake for awhile.&nbsp; It returned to fly over the jetty, and the bay from Iowa over the road into Minnesota and land in the middle of the lake.&nbsp; We watched it there at relatively close range until 12:30, and it was still there when we left.&nbsp; You never saw 4 adults so happy, to jump&nbsp;with joy at waiting it out for this wayward visitor to cross into Jackson County!!!!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Conny Brunell</DIV>
<DIV><A href="mailto:connybrunell@earthlink.net">connybrunell@earthlink.net</A></DIV>
<DIV>EarthLink Revolves Around You.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<P></P></BODY></HTML>
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8--