[mou] Sax Zim happenings

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:29:46 -0500

I still question the county and the state for the way they are handling the
so call insect issue by mowing down the bog! The reason the Black-backed
Woodpecker ( year round) and Three-toed Woodpeckers ( last winter ) are in
the bog is most likely due to the insect issue. In the past  Black-backed
Woodpeckers were not reported as much as they are recently. The Three-toed
Woodpeckers last winter was a very good bird for the bog area these birds
are very rarely seen by birders.  If logging down the "bend" on  Owl Ave was
a good idea then I guess eradicating a migrant trap in the spring where on
Big Days you could easily find abundant Blackburnian, Tenn, Magnolias,
Black-throated Greens, Philadelphia Vireos and other passerines. Today its
mowed down and I rarely stop here because the birds I mention above are gone
or very hard to find.   You have to drive to other stands of woods that
support these warblers! Also the stand of spruce and other conifers along
Stone Lake Rd. use to have Black-backed Woodpeckers and Conn. Warblers! NO
more!  The trees are mowed down!

By the way I am not only the NE birder that has issue with the logging
practices in the Sax Zim Bog as I heard other birders chat about the issues
as well!   Man has never EVER been able to manage habitats correctly. All I
know is these managers spend more time correcting mistakes and creating more
mistakes when managing habitats and wildlife. ( look or read about all the
mistakes that happen when man decides to be managers of the land)  This will
most likely be the same issue in the Bog.

So if you are going to help the Sax Zim area than the logging needs to stop,
preserve the bog habitat as I read an article last month, that bog habitats
are decreasing in the state. I also disagree with Sharon and not enough is
being done by this Sax Zim group and so far the MOU org is doing a good
thing by leasing land in the bog area and what I know so far the MOU will be
hopefully leasing more land as well.  Thats progress vs. just talk.

Mike