[mou] Lake Calhoun Turkey Vultures

Sharon Stiteler sharonks@mn.rr.com
Mon, 06 Jun 2005 06:34:34 -0500

A few weeks ago Terry Brashear posted that he had been watching a pair of
turkey vultures hang out on the Lake Calhoun Executive Building and wondered
if they were nesting.

I forgot to post that a couple of weeks ago, my husband and I made an
appointment with the building manager to check every nook and cranny for a
nest.  Jennifer was very nice and gracious and showed us all the areas where
she had seen the birds hang out and let us go to all the spots that looked
like potential nests.  We did not find where the birds are nesting.

We did find that the birds are also hanging out on high rise just across the
street.  It's interesting to note that this tower has become increasingly
glittery as every day a new balcony shows up with Mylar tape an effort to
keep the turkey vultures from roosting on that particular balcony.  It's of
no surprise that one balcony has a fake owl and that one doesn't deter the
vultures.

I've read of cases of turkey vultures down south nesting on balconies and I
wonder if there is a vacancy in that building and that's where the vultures
are nesting?

--
Sharon Stiteler
Minneapolis, MN