[mou] Trip to Malmberg Prairie and to Glacial Ridge Polk Co.

Shelley Steva crossbill7200@yahoo.com
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 11:07:01 -0700 (PDT)

  Saturday, July 11-Early morning. There was no wind
and no clouds. I wasn't sleeping anyway so I got up
and went to Malmberg Prairie. I had made a committment
to go to that SNA this year.
  Malmberg is WET. I have been there before 23 years
ago. It was dry then with about 2 wet spots- now it
has about the same number of dry spots. The center of
the preserve is full of sedges.
  The highlights of the trip included:
3 possibly 4 yellow rails heard- one was within 4 feet
of me;
Sora-2
Le Conte's Sparrow- 1 seen.
It was wonderful.

It was wonderful in a different way at Glacial Ridge.
Some of the plantings are starting to grow and it is
really starting to look different there- more like a
prairie.
Highlights included:
Marbled godwits-4
Upladd Sandpiper near the preserve
Orchard orioles- male and female- looking just like a
pair of warblers

Good Birding-
Shelley Steva
Pennington Co.