[mou] RE: [mnbird] Three Good Sites

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:31:52 -0500

The Wilson's Warbler intrigues me the most. There have been few nesting
records in the state, and with the amount of blow down, there may well
be more habitat in the BWCA for this bird to nest than in recent
history. I spoke with Jan Green over the weekend and she advises that
there are warblers worth looking for their nests as there are few
records. Bay-breasted, Wilson's, and Black-throated Blue. If anyone is
traveling north, take time to learn these songs and helps us map some of
their nests in the state.

Mark Alt=20
MOU President
mark.alt@bestbuy.com
C/O J. F. Bell Museum of Natural History
University of Minnesota
10 Church Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0104
MOU.mn.org

-----Original Message-----
From: mnbird-admin@lists.mnbird.net
[mailto:mnbird-admin@lists.mnbird.net] On Behalf Of Edward L
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2005 8:48 PM
To: mnbird@lists.mnbird.net
Subject: [mnbird] Three Good Sites

We just returned from a North Shore birding trip.  We saw many good
birds and simply would like to recommend three warbler places. =20

First is walking the Kimball Lake campground on FR14, just 15-20 minutes
north from Grand Marais via the Gunflint Trail.  The site has been
mentioned several times in posts to mnbird, but this is the first time
Suzanne and I birded it. We found warblers, vireos, thrushes, and more.
(The Devil's Track Lake loop and Lima Mtn road were, for us,
comparatively "empty".)

The most convenient site was the picnic area adjacent to the
Tettegouche State Park office on Hwy 61.  Along with our lunch we were
treated to warblers' songs and teasing glimpses.  The picnic area sits
high above the Lake: steady breezes held the flies and mosquitos at bay.

Most surprising was our campsite on Alton Lake, one portage over from
Sawbill Lake.  We pitched a tent on the longest west-shore point which
is exposed on three sides to the weather.  Despite the cold, wind, and
rain we had warblers each day.  Some we could only identify by song.
Others came so close I swear I could identify individual birds and give
them nicknames if I had wanted.  Warblers on the point and along the
portage:=20

@ Nashville
@ Northern Parula
@ Canada
@ Wilson's (female)
@ Chestnut-Sided
@ Magnolia
@ Yellow-Rumped
@ Black-throated Green
@ Black-and-White
@ American Redstart
@ Ovenbird
@ Mourning (possible)

A singing winter wren and wood thrush at our camp were special treats.