[mou] Le Conte's and Henslow's Sparrows, Carver County

rdunlap@gac.edu rdunlap@gac.edu
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:37:13 -0500

This afternoon John Hockema and I found both Le Conte's and Henslow's Sparrows
singing in Carver Park Reserve in Carver County.  We heard at least 3 Le
Conte's and at least 4 Henslow's.  4 locations to be aware of:

1: Both a Le Conte's and Henslow's in the fields along CR 11 just south of the
turn into Lake Auburn Campground.

2: Henslow's in the field looking out from the "Shorebird Sanctuary" parking lot
as you turn onto the road to Lowry Nature Center.

3: Both a Le Conte's and Henslow's in the field on the right side of the road as
you continue to the nature center, about 50 yards down the road from location 2.
There is an Osprey platform in this field.

4: Both a Le Conte's and Henslow's in the field behind the Reservation Picnic
Area.  From CR 11, go west on Grimm Road and take the first left, which will
take you to the Reservation Picnic Area. From the parking lot, walk behind the
line of trees to the wet meadow.

Although we were delighted to find so many Henslow's Sparrows, we weren't too
surprised, as this seems to be a banner year for that species.  Any wet meadow
consisting of Sedge Wrens and Bobolinks is probably suitable for Henslow's
Sparrows this year.  We were much more surprised to find the Le Conte's
Sparrows in these same fields, as we've never heard of them nesting this far
south.  I remember summer reports from Wright County last year, but that is the
farthest south I have heard of them in summer. Intriguing.

Bob Dunlap, Carver County