[mou] Henslow's Sparrow - Carver County - Rapid's Lake Unit - MVNWR

EgretCMan@aol.com EgretCMan@aol.com
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:59:58 EDT

-------------------------------1118696398

6/13/2005

A Henslow's Sparrow was heard and observed at the Rapid's Lake Unit of the
Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge on Saturday, June 11, during the
Refuge's Bio Blitz.  I did not get the name of the Volunteer, who  initially
reported the bird.  But was asked to confirm the sighting if time  permitted as
this species has not been reported on the Refuge in many  years.  Today I was
able to hear the bird, but never was able to view  the bird.  It was calling
intermittently between 11:00am and  1:00pm.

Note if you try walking the field, that there are a number of Grasshopper
Sparrows.  Two of which I observed carrying food.  So be careful  not to step on
any nests!

Here are the directions to the Unit.

Carver County
Rapid's Lake Unit
Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge
Main trailhead on Carver CR 45.

>From the Twin Cities, go South on Hwy 169 to the town of  Jordan.  At the
Traffic Signal on Hwy 169, in the town of Jordan turn  Right on Scott CR 9.  Stay
on CR 9, until it becomes Carver CR 45, on the  West side of the Minnesota
River.  Continue for about 2 miles on CR 45 and  you will see a large gravel
parking area, with a low brown fence around it on  your right.  This is the new
parking area for the Rapid's Lake unit and the  bird was heard to the South
East of this parking lot.

Craig Mandel  - EgretCMan@aol.com - Minnetonka, MN

-------------------------------1118696398

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2627" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2><FONT id=3Drole_document face=3DArial=20=
color=3D#000000=20
size=3D2>
<DIV>6/13/2005</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>A Henslow's Sparrow was heard and observed at the Rapid's Lake Unit of=20=
the=20
Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge on Saturday, June 11, during the=20
Refuge's Bio Blitz.&nbsp;&nbsp;I did not get the name of the Volunteer, who=20
initially reported the bird.&nbsp; But was asked to confirm the sighting if=20=
time=20
permitted as this species has not been reported on the Refuge in many=20
years.&nbsp;&nbsp;Today I was able to hear the bird, but never was able to v=
iew=20
the bird.&nbsp;&nbsp;It was calling intermittently between 11:00am and=20
1:00pm.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Note if you try walking the field, that there are a number of Grasshopp=
er=20
Sparrows.&nbsp;&nbsp;Two of which I observed carrying food.&nbsp; So be care=
ful=20
not to step on any nests!&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Here are the directions to the Unit.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Carver County</DIV>
<DIV>Rapid's Lake Unit </DIV>
<DIV>Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge</DIV>
<DIV>Main trailhead on Carver CR 45.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>From the Twin Cities, go South on Hwy 169 to the town of=20
Jordan.&nbsp;&nbsp;At the Traffic Signal on Hwy 169, in the town of Jordan t=
urn=20
Right on Scott CR 9.&nbsp; Stay on CR 9, until it becomes Carver CR 45, on t=
he=20
West side of the Minnesota River.&nbsp; Continue for about 2 miles on CR 45=20=
and=20
you will see a large gravel parking area, with a low brown fence around it o=
n=20
your right.&nbsp; This is the new parking area for the Rapid's Lake unit and=
 the=20
bird was heard&nbsp;to the South East of this parking lot.</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 PTSIZE=3D"10" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF"=
>Craig Mandel=20
- EgretCMan@aol.com - Minnetonka, MN=20
</FONT></DIV></DIV></FONT></FONT></BODY></HTML>