[mou] RE: [mnbird] Henslow's Sparrow relocated, Glacial Ridge nesting updates, Merlin "rescue"

Jeanie Joppru ajjoppru@wiktel.com
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 07:21:02 -0500

I was very disturbed to learn that point counts are being conducted on
ATV with all the disturbance that they cause, and even more unhappy to
hear that Nathaniel is willing to take people to the Henslow's site on
the ATV, thus creating even more disturbance. Having done point counts
at Agassiz for several years, I can tell you that the wet shrubby
habitat there is far harder to navigate on foot than a simple grassland;
there is no excuse for taking an ATV to do point counts on the prairie.
All the counts that I did were done on foot so as to get a true picture
of what was there and not disturb any nests. Also, although I do not
have knowledge of the management plan, it seems that mowing while the
species that are nesting there are still on the nest would be counter
productive. I hope there is a good explanation for these procedures.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County