[mou] Henslow's Sparrow relocated, Glacial Ridge nesting updates, Merlin "rescue"

Emery, Nathaniel G emer0098@mail.crk.umn.edu
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:58:51 -0500

Folks:
I easily relocated the Henslow's Sparrow male at the same
location I previously posted. I believe that the disturbance that
the ATV causes riles him into singing from exposed perches. It
would be illegal to take a private ATV to the site but if you
contact me personally I would have no problem taking you to see
him. The Nature Conservancy will be mowing the site soon to control
exotic cool-season plants so the sooner you make the trip the better!
The Dickcissels must have come in late but they are relatively
abundant on the property now. Almost each site I stop at has at
least one singing male. A few females have been observed but nobody
has monitored them closely enough to determine if they are nesting.
My male Dickcissel count is over a dozen so that is good news.
The Upland Sandpiper and Wilson's Phalarope nests that I
located have all hatched successfully. A couple Greater Prairie-
chicken and duck nests were destroyed by mowers or abandoned. The
Virginia Rail nest was clipped by mowers as well. A Western
Meadowlark now raises her family in an ampitheater as opposed to the
dome she had built prior to mowing. The 2 nestlings and 2 eggs seem
to be doing fine.
Yesterday on the University of Minnesota, Crookston campus we had the =
"Great Merlin Rescue,
2005." It is thought that two of the nestlings got blown out of the
nest during the wind storm we had last Thursday/Friday. One
survived the fall and one did not. The survivor was being fed on
the ground but we wanted to place it back in the nest and document
any other nestlings that might be present. The operation was
successful in returning the fallen young and another healthy chick
was present 60 feet up in the top of a spruce. Kirby Nielsen of
Roers Construction assisted by providing the equipment and operation
of a large lift to take he and I to the nest. Mike Christopherson
of the Crookston Times was present so watch that media for a picture
or article or both.
Also yesterday the Short-eared Owl that resides near Polk CR 46
was perched on the phone lines just south of Hwy 2 and the Pankratz =
Prairie.
It was a very congenial host as I stopped my vehicle and observed it
for 5 minutes. It was still there when I left just after 9 a.m.
=20
Nate Emery
Polk County, NW MN
(218) 281-8141