[mou] McGregor (Aitkin County)

Ron Green rongreen@charter.net
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 14:24:45 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_01FE_01C52258.3EB3E2D0

My wife and I got back last night from spending Thursday, Friday, and =
Saturday looking for GGO's in and around McGregor. That was our third =
trip. Our primary purpose was to photograph them in flight. We were not =
disappointed in that regard, nor in the number we encountered. I =
probably took over 350 images and have it now down to 200. I need to =
whittle it down some more and then I will post it on my website for =
anyone who wants to see them. I not only got quite a few flight shots, =
but also a number of images of them both perching and eating that I was =
very pleased with the results. And, even though I would call them far =
from decent images, I even got a few of them fighting (I will be posting =
these as well). What surprised us is the number of squabbles we saw =
(about 5 to 6). Unfortunately, I wasn't always ready to capture them, so =
I missed some really good images of the battles. One filled the screen =
but I hit the button when the focus jumped out past them. That is one I =
deleted. Anyway, I will send a notice when I post them all.

I have seen a number of people question are the GGO's still there. From =
what my wife and I counted, the answer is absolutely. The following are =
our findings:

Counts:
Thursday: 41 GGO's, 1 Boreal Owl
Friday: 52 GGO's
Saturday: 59 GGO's

Locations:
As I noted above, we kept to the McGregor area with the exception of =
coming in from Moose Lake on 27 to 65. With respect to 27, as we heading =
west on early Thursday, we saw about 10 (not included in above counts) =
on 27. When we left last night about 5 P.M., we only saw 3. In McGregor, =
our pattern was to go east out of town on 210 to 285th. We then turned =
south on it and immediatly turned left and headed east on 420th. This =
was our first stop each morning from 7:30 to 10:30 A.M. We found this =
was one of the best areas for the birds being very active, as well as =
great lighting on the north side of the road for photographing. We =
usually covered about about a mile stretch of 420th. After 10:30, it =
seemed that the rest of the day the owls were few in number and =
infrequently moving. After that, we would head west on 210 to 5 and hand =
there till close to Noon. The west side of the road was the best to see =
activity and for lighting (one of my key needs photographically). Then =
we headed down to the corner of 53 and 5. There is an open field that an =
owl hangs out that has been there for all three 3 trips. It seems to be =
frequently hunting. On Thursday, we observed it catching and eating 3 =
mice within very active. On Friday, there was an additional owl that =
came in and a squabbly ensued. Anyway, we then headed South on 53 and =
stopped at several places past Kimberly. When we came to 4, we headed =
east and spent about 1 to 1-1/2 hours on it (between 1:00 and 2:30). We =
counted a large percentage of the owls on 4. We then headed back to 5 =
(the stretch just south of 210) and spent the rest of what was left of =
sunlight photographing on both sides of the road. As I mentioned, this =
was our three day pattern and it was met with much success, especially =
from the perspective of obtaining images.

With regards to the Boreal, we saw and photographed it on Friday at =
10:30 A.M. The way we came to know of its location was via Cindy Butler =
Risen. She stopped and talked to my wife and I while we were on 420th, =
told us about seeing one, and then gave us excellent directions to go =
and see it. It was located just west of the intersection of 62 on the =
north side of 210. We went back several times after that and it was gone =
and a GGO was sitting in the area instead. To find the location, head =
one mile west west on 210 from the light in downtown McGregor. When you =
come to 62, cross over and park on the north side of 210. Look for the =
55 MPH sign. Stand to the left of the sign and look for a green metal =
utility box (in the ditch and is about 3 feet high). The The Boreal owl =
was in a tree about 10 feet behind the box and about 6 feet up on a =
branch. I got some great shots of it. If you read this Cindy, mucho =
gracis for the info and great directions! Quite frankly, my wife and I =
are baffled as to how you were able to spot it in the first place? Boy, =
does that owl blend in with its surroundings!!

Finally, I had an unusual encounter with an animal on a minimal service =
that was went north off of 4. I left my camera in the car and headed =
down it with a very important and desparate mission in mind. I went in =
about 25 feet when I happened to look down about 100 feet and this =
little rodent like creature was heading right for me and ended up about =
two feet away from my feet. I was really surprised by its boldness. So I =
started to our SUV to get my camera. It followed me. I then got my =
camera out and started to follow it. I walked with it as it crossed over =
4 to the south side and and then headed into the woods, but not before I =
got some images of it (see below or attachment). Can anyone help me with =
an identification of it?

I trust that above is of some help to those who are still planning a =
visit. By the way, if you are looking to stay in McGregor and you are as =
frugal as my wife and I, stay at the Town & Country Motel. It was about =
$40 per night and each room has a fridge and microwave. It is definitely =
not a 5-star place, but it was surely economical and worked for us.

Ron Green
http://www.greensphotoimages.com
------=_NextPart_000_01FE_01C52258.3EB3E2D0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My wife and I got back last night from =
spending=20
Thursday, Friday, and Saturday looking for GGO's in and around McGregor. =
That=20
was our third trip. Our&nbsp;primary purpose was to photograph them in =
flight.=20
We were not disappointed in that regard, nor in the number we =
encountered. I=20
probably took over 350 images and have it now down to 200. I need to =
whittle it=20
down some more and then I will post it on my website for anyone who =
wants to see=20
them. I not only got quite a few flight shots, but also a number of =
images of=20
them both perching and&nbsp;eating that I was very pleased with the =
results.=20
And, even though I would call them far from decent images, I&nbsp;even =
got a few=20
of them fighting (I will be posting these as well). What surprised us is =
the=20
number of squabbles&nbsp;we saw (about 5 to 6). Unfortunately, I wasn't =
always=20
ready to capture them, so&nbsp;I missed some really good images of the =
battles.=20
One filled the screen but I hit the button when the focus jumped out =
past them.=20
That is one I deleted. Anyway, I will send a notice when I post them=20
all.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have seen a number of people question =
are the=20
GGO's still there. From what my wife and I counted, the answer is =
absolutely.=20
The following are our findings:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><STRONG></STRONG></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><STRONG>Counts:</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thursday: 41 GGO's, 1 Boreal =
Owl</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Friday: 52 GGO's</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Saturday: 59 GGO's</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2><STRONG>Locations:</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As I noted above, we kept to the =
McGregor area with=20
the exception of coming in from Moose Lake on 27 to 65. With respect to =
27, as=20
we heading west on&nbsp;early Thursday, we saw about 10 (not included in =
above=20
counts) on 27. When we left last night about 5 P.M., we only saw 3. In =
McGregor,=20
our pattern was to go east out of town on 210 to 285th. We then turned =
south on=20
it&nbsp;and immediatly turned left and headed east =
on&nbsp;420th.&nbsp;This was=20
our first stop each morning from 7:30 to 10:30 A.M. We found this was =
one of the=20
best areas for the birds being very active, as well as great lighting on =
the=20
north side of the road for photographing. We usually covered about about =
a mile=20
stretch of 420th. After 10:30, it seemed that the rest of the day the =
owls=20
were&nbsp;few in number and infrequently moving. After that, we would =
head west=20
on 210 to&nbsp;5 and hand there till close to Noon. The west side of the =
road=20
was the best to see activity and for lighting (one of my key needs=20
photographically). Then we headed down to the corner of 53 and 5. There =
is an=20
open field that an owl hangs out that has been there for =
all&nbsp;three&nbsp;3=20
trips. It seems to be&nbsp;frequently hunting.&nbsp;On Thursday, we=20
observed&nbsp;it catching and eating&nbsp;3 mice within very active. On =
Friday,=20
there was an additional owl that came in and a squabbly ensued. Anyway, =
we then=20
headed South on 53 and stopped at several places past Kimberly. When we =
came to=20
4, we headed east and spent about 1 to 1-1/2 hours on it (between 1:00 =
and=20
2:30). We counted a large percentage of the owls on 4. We then headed =
back to 5=20
(the stretch just south of 210) and spent the rest of what was left of =
sunlight=20
photographing on both sides of the road. As I mentioned, this was our =
three day=20
pattern and it was met with much success, especially from the =
perspective of=20
obtaining images.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>With regards to the Boreal, we saw and =
photographed=20
it on Friday at 10:30 A.M. The way we came to know of its location was =
via Cindy=20
Butler Risen. She stopped and talked to my wife and I while we were on =
420th,=20
told us about seeing one, and then gave us excellent directions to go =
and see=20
it. It was located just west of the intersection of 62 on the north side =

of&nbsp;210.&nbsp;We went back several times after&nbsp;that and&nbsp;it =

was&nbsp;gone and a GGO was sitting in the area instead. To find the =
location,=20
head one mile west&nbsp;west on&nbsp;210 from the light in downtown=20
McGregor.&nbsp;When you come to 62, cross over and park on the north =
side of=20
210. Look for the 55 MPH sign. Stand to the left of the sign and look =
for a=20
green metal utility box (in the ditch and is about 3 feet =
high).&nbsp;The The=20
Boreal owl was in a tree about 10 feet behind the box and about 6 feet =
up on a=20
branch. I got some great shots of it. If you read this Cindy, mucho =
gracis for=20
the info and great directions! Quite frankly, my wife and I are baffled =
as to=20
how you were able to spot it in the first place? Boy, does that owl =
blend in=20
with its surroundings!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Finally, I had an unusual encounter =
with=20
an&nbsp;animal on a minimal service that was went north off of 4. I left =
my=20
camera in the car and headed down it with a very important and desparate =
mission=20
in mind. I went in about 25 feet when&nbsp;I happened to look down about =
100=20
feet and this little rodent like creature&nbsp;was heading right for me =
and=20
ended up&nbsp;about two feet away from my feet. I was really surprised =
by its=20
boldness. So&nbsp;I started to&nbsp;our SUV to get my camera. It =
followed=20
me.&nbsp;I then got my camera out and started to follow it. I walked =
with it as=20
it crossed over&nbsp;4 to the south side and and then headed =
into&nbsp;the=20
woods, but not before I got&nbsp;some images of it (see below or=20
attachment).&nbsp;Can anyone help me with an&nbsp;identification of=20
it?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I trust that above is of some help to =
those who are=20
still planning a visit. By the way, if you are looking to stay in =
McGregor and=20
you are as frugal as my wife and I, stay at the Town &amp; Country =
Motel. It was=20
about $40 per night and each room has a fridge and microwave. It is =
definitely=20
not a 5-star place, but it was surely economical and worked for =
us.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ron Green<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.greensphotoimages.com">http://www.greensphotoimages.co=
m</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_01FE_01C52258.3EB3E2D0--