[mou] Bird photo affirmations

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 21:10:02 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C524EC.5C18AD10

I am also impressed with photographers like Terry Brashear and other =
Minnesotan photographers.  I wish other photographers would show the =
same class & professionalism.  I was in Aitkin county last Tuesday and =
saw the Boreal Owl along highway 210.=20

The Boreal Owl was actively hunting during the day. The owl was moving =
from perch to perch looking for prey.  The area the owl is perched in =
and hunting in is about 15 feet from the edge of the shoulder.  When I =
got there with my two clients from Missouri, I walked on the opposite =
lane on the opposite shoulder so I was about 50 feet from the owl. I =
really felt being 15 feet from the owl while it was hunting would be a =
distraction.  I got some decent digiscope photos of the owl from where I =
was at. =20

When I drove by to head back to Duluth I witnessed  some heavy duty =
photographers with some serious lenses and other equipment.  They were =
on the same side of the road as the owl and that meant they were about =
15 feet from the hunting owl. So each time the owl moved from its =
perched you hear several cameras go "snip snip snip" of the digitals.  I =
was honestly sicken by this lack of professionalism. =20

I suppose these photographers were trying to get that flight shot or =
that perfect sitting pose so they get some eternal praise from their =
peers.  The problem is that I know that there are still some birders and =
probably other photographers that would love to see this owl. So if you =
get a 1-3 photographers from outstate who really could careless if the =
owl leaves or possibly fly across the road (as long as they got their =
photos) and get hit by a moving car than that ruins the chances for =
other birders and photographers to relocate the owl.

I am not anti bird photographer but to be truly honest I witnessed and =
heard about more unethical behavior by photographers vs. your average =
birder with a pair of binoculars or a scope.  I heard how a photographer =
was in Aitkin Co. and on private property clicking shots of an owl. The =
photographer than tramped around the homestead buildings and walked up =
to the house and yelled at the owner to get their dog leashed up because =
it was bothering him while the photographer was trying to take pictures! =
Its a true story. I laughed but its as true as the sky is blue.

So I applaud our local photographers and I hope their peers follow their =
examples when they are out in the field.

By the way some of photos I been seeing on Nature Scape.com are =
unbelievable breath taking.  Steve Roman, Chris Fagyal and Terry =
Brashear have some out standing photos of the owls that erupted this =
year.  They should publish a coffee table book of the photos because =
they are by far the best photos around I seen of the owls.  I would buy =
one in a heart beat.

Mike Hendrickson=20

----- Original Message -----=20