[mou] Minnesota Frog & Toad Calling Survey 2005

Yvette Monstad yvette.monstad@dnr.state.mn.us
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:40:22 -0600

Greetings!

We are currently recruiting volunteers for the 2005 Minnesota Frog and
Toad Calling Survey (MFTCS).  We are part of USGS's nation-wide program,
the North American Amphibian Monitoring Program, with randomly-placed
"frog routes" scattered across the state of Minnesota.  Participants of
the MFTCS will be assigned to pre-selected routes and will be asked to
conduct nighttime "listening surveys" on three evenings per year between
April and July. Training materials including a CD of Minnesota's frog
and toad calls, maps, and data forms will be provided. Volunteers need a
vehicle and valid driver's license, good hearing, an interest in frog
and toad conservation, a willingness to learn frog calls, a commitment
to completing assigned route(s), and a desire to participate in the
program for multiple years.

We are specifically recruiting volunteers for rural areas in Minnesota,
especially in the southwest, northwest, and central portions of the
state.  Unfortunately, there are currently no routes available in the
Twin Cities metro area nor in the immediate Duluth vicinity.  For more
information, including the specific protocol, dates of the survey, and a
map depicting the general locations of the available routes, please
visit our website at:
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/volunteering/frogtoad_survey/index.html

There are only 14 species of frogs and toads in Minnesota, and their
calls are quite easy to learn. Please feel free to contact me if you are
interested in signing up for one of our available routes, or have any
questions about the MFTCS.

Thank you!

Yvette Monstad
Nongame Wildlife Program