[mou] Re: [mnbird] FW: Jude, 14 March 05

tau2000@usfamily.net tau2000@usfamily.net
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:11:23 -0600

I don't know you, Jim, or your Jude.  But by gosh I'm really rooting for
her.  She sounds like a strong person.

Good luck on the dusting!
Maureen T.

From: Jim Williams [mailto:two-jays@att.net]
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 9:02 PM
Subject: Jude, 14 March 05

So, tonight I walk into Jude's room at the hospital. There she sits,
pretty, smiling, wearing her cute straw hat. After a couple of kisses,
she says, "You get to take me somewhere on Sunday.

"What?"

"You get to take me somewhere."

"Where?"

"Anywhere, out of here."

"Out of the hospital?"

"Yes."

"In the car? Like, we could go home for a while?"

"Yes."

"Really?

"YES. Really."

Well, I'll be damned.

This is a half-day pass, is what it is. And before you begin to think
of miracle recoveries, please understand that Jude still has no use of
her right arm and precious little control of her right leg. What she
does have is significant accomplishment in dealing with the problems
her body presently presents. She has worked hard to learn to cope. It
comes as a bit of a surprise to me, as you can tell, perhaps because I
have not attended any but one therapy session. I see her at the end of
her day, and her reports of progress have been modestly brief. She is
doing well in therapy, I was told today, when I reviewed this work with
all three therapists (with much work to do, however). When things do
not go well and she is offered the opportunity to stop for the day, she
asks for more; she does not want to stop. Watching her in therapy that
one afternoon exhausted me; she asks for more.

So, Sunday she gets to spend a few hours at home.

Saturday, I vacuum and dust.

Jim