[mou] Aitkin County, March 13-14

Dennis Wiesenborn D.Wiesenborn@ndsu.edu
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:21:11 -0600

--=====================_10267203==.ALT

This is to confirm that very good numbers of northern owls remained in
Aitkin Co. as of Sunday evening-Monday morning.

Of particular interest to me were 3 NORTHERN HAWK OWLS along CR 1.  One was
100 yds NE of CR 1/Great River Rd. (Great River Rd. borders the diversion
channel, which is 4 mi. N of downtown Aitkin City).  The other two were 1
mi. S, and 2 mi. N of this intersection.

GREAT GRAY OWLS were still plentiful along the 1.5 mile-long stretch of CR
1 north of Great River Rd., the area previously reported by Warren
Nelson.  I estimated 20 GGO in this area, and a total of  another 20
sprinkled along the following roads: CR 1 from CR 22 northwards to Round L.
on CR 29; CR 3 between US 169 and CR 29; CR 18 between US 169 and CR 5; CR
5 between CR 3 and MN 210; MN 210 between CR 5 and US 169.

Also observed:  3 SHARP-TAILED GROUSE in the lek W. of CR 1, 1 mi N of
Great River Rd., 6-10 ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS along CR 1 & 29 between Aitkin
City and CR 3, and AMERICAN MAGPIE along CR 5 about 2 mi S Palisade.

Dennis Wiesenborn
evening phone:  701-297-0981
--=====================_10267203==.ALT

This is to confirm that very good numbers of northern owls remained in
Aitkin Co. as of Sunday evening-Monday morning.<br><br>
Of particular interest to me were 3 <b>NORTHERN HAWK OWLS</b> along CR
1.&nbsp; One was 100 yds NE of CR 1/Great River Rd. (Great River Rd.
borders the diversion channel, which is 4 mi. N of downtown Aitkin
City).&nbsp; The other two were 1 mi. S, and 2 mi. N of this
intersection.<br><br>
<b>GREAT GRAY OWLS </b>were still plentiful along the 1.5 mile-long
stretch of CR 1 north of Great River Rd., the area previously reported by
Warren Nelson.&nbsp; I estimated 20 GGO in this area, and a total
of&nbsp; another 20 sprinkled along the following roads: CR 1 from CR 22
northwards to Round L. on CR 29; CR 3 between US 169 and CR 29; CR 18
between US 169 and CR 5; CR 5 between CR 3 and MN 210; MN 210 between CR
5 and US 169.<br><br>
Also observed:&nbsp; 3 <b>SHARP-TAILED GROUSE</b> in the lek W. of CR 1,
1 mi N of Great River Rd., 6-10 <b>ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS</b> along CR 1
&amp; 29 between Aitkin City and CR 3, and AMERICAN MAGPIE along CR 5
about 2 mi S Palisade.<br><br>
Dennis Wiesenborn<br>
evening phone:&nbsp; 701-297-0981</body>