[mou] FYI.. Ivory-Billed Woodpecker ??

esteb02@frontiernet.net esteb02@frontiernet.net
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:17:55 -0500

Chuck,

I regularly see them when sitting in my deer hunting near Floodwood, MN.
I have also seen them regularly in past years at Lebanon Regional Park
(Apple Valley/Eagan) and in the back wooded areas of the Minnesota Zoo.
They are fairly noisy when they pound, so it's not hard to locate them
if they are in the vicinity.

BTW, we have a pair exhibited in the Minnesota Trail (Interior) at the
Minnesota Zoo. They are non-releaseable due to injuries, but we are
trying to encourage them to breed. As far as we know, they have not
been successfully bred in captivity. They are very distructive to the
exhibit. They even manage to put holes into the concrete fake trees in
the exhibit!

Steve Estebo
Avian Zoologist
Minnesota Zoo