[mou] Aitkin County, 3/19/05, 3/20/05

Chris Fagyal Chris.Fagyal@udlp.com
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:13:10 -0600

--=__PartA487D566.0__=

All,
=20
Another friend from out of state was stopping through to photograph the =
Owls in Aitkin on his way up to Alaska, so I went up for Saturday and =
Sunday to help show him around.  The owls are definitely still around in =
massive numbers. =20
=20
3/19/05
---------
76 Great Grey Owls (Mostly County Rd 4, County Rd 5, County Rd 1 north of =
the diversion channel.   A few on Hwy 210, and a few on Kestrel Ave north =
of Tamarack, and a few more on Cty Rd 16 south of Tamarack).  On the way =
home from 5:15pm to 6:45pm 17 were seen along Hwy 65 from Cty Rd 4 to just =
north of the Kanabec County Line.  1 Great Grey was seen just inside =
Kanabec County around 6:40 or 6:45pm.
=20
4 Northern Hawk Owls (Cty Rd 1 just north of diversion channel, 420th, Cty =
Rd 5, Kestrel Ave north of Tamarack)
=20
Other notables:  Horned Larks in the fields, Black-billed Magpie along Cty =
Rd 5, 3 Northern Harriers along 420th, dark morph Rough-legged Hawk along =
420th
=20
Strangest sight witnessed: Great Grey Owl scavenging on a roadkill deer =
carcass on the north side of Cty 4 just a mile or two west of Hwy 65.
=20
3/20/05
----------
103 Great Grey Owls.  Different route this time.  17 on Hwy 65 on my way =
up, with the first being seen a few miles north of the Kanabe Cty Line, no =
Great Greys in Kanabec today.  6 more along Cty 4 between 7:45am, 10 or =
more along Cty 13, 19 along 420th including at least 12 in one small set =
of two fields on the north side of the road, another 8 along 185th Pl =
south of 420th, 1 along Kestrel Ave going north out of Tamarack, 2 in Rice =
Lake NWR, 20+ more in various places as I was travelling from road to =
road...I can't remember all of the specifics...several were along Hwy210, =
and several more were along Hwy65 from 210 south to Rice Lake NWR.  On the =
way home between 4:30pm and 5:45pm another 18 were seen along County Rd 2 =
from Hwy65 to Malmo.
=20
Any Owls seen previously were not double-counted (I went along Cty 4 =
several times looking for new Owls, and only counted the 6 Owls I saw =
along that road once...Incidentally Cty Rd 4 seemed to have fewer overall =
Owls than in weeks past...however this may have just been timing as well =
as time spent on the road)
=20
2 Northern Hawk Owls - 1 in Rice Lake NWR, 1 along Kestrel Ave north of =
Tamarack.
=20
Other notables: Ruffed Grouse in a tree along Hwy 65 about 6:50am, more =
horned larks calling and flying around the fields, 2 Sharp-tailed Grouse =
in the fields on the south side of 420th.
=20
=20
=20
Chris Fagyal
Senior Software Engineer
United Defense, L.P. ASD
Fridley, MN=20
(763) 572-5320
chris.fagyal@udlp.com

--=__PartA487D566.0__=

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1492" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt Tahoma; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>All,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Another friend from out of state was stopping through =
to=20
photograph the Owls in Aitkin on his way up to Alaska, so I went up for =
Saturday=20
and Sunday to help show him around.&nbsp; The owls are definitely still =
around=20
in massive numbers.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>3/19/05</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>---------</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>76 Great Grey Owls (Mostly County Rd 4, County Rd 5, =
County Rd=20
1 north of the diversion channel.&nbsp;&nbsp; A few on Hwy 210, and a few =
on=20
Kestrel Ave north of Tamarack, and a few more on Cty Rd 16 south of=20
Tamarack).&nbsp; On the way home from 5:15pm to 6:45pm 17 were seen along =
Hwy 65=20
from Cty Rd 4 to just north of the Kanabec County Line.&nbsp; 1 Great Grey =
was=20
seen just inside Kanabec County around 6:40 or 6:45pm.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>4 Northern Hawk Owls (Cty Rd 1 just north of =
diversion=20
channel, 420th, Cty Rd 5, Kestrel Ave north of Tamarack)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Other notables:&nbsp; Horned Larks in the fields, =
Black-billed=20
Magpie&nbsp;along Cty Rd 5, 3 Northern Harriers along 420th, dark morph=20
Rough-legged Hawk along 420th</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Strangest sight witnessed: Great Grey Owl scavenging =
on a=20
roadkill deer carcass on the north side of Cty 4 just a mile or two west =
of Hwy=20
65.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>3/20/05</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>----------</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>103 Great Grey Owls.&nbsp; Different route this =
time.&nbsp; 17=20
on Hwy 65 on my way up, with the first being seen a few miles north of =
the=20
Kanabe Cty Line, no Great Greys in Kanabec today.&nbsp; 6 more along =
Cty&nbsp;4=20
between 7:45am,&nbsp;10&nbsp;or more&nbsp;along Cty 13, 19 along 420th =
including=20
at least 12 in one small set of two fields on the north side of the =
road,=20
another&nbsp;8 along 185th Pl south of 420th, 1 along Kestrel Ave going =
north=20
out of Tamarack, 2 in Rice Lake NWR, 20+ more in various places as I =
was=20
travelling from road to road...I can't remember all of the specifics...seve=
ral=20
were along Hwy210, and several more were along Hwy65 from 210 south to =
Rice Lake=20
NWR.&nbsp; On the way home between 4:30pm and 5:45pm another 18 were seen =
along=20
County Rd 2 from Hwy65 to Malmo.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Any Owls seen previously were not double-counted (I =
went along=20
Cty 4 several times looking for new Owls, and only counted the 6 Owls I =
saw=20
along that road once...Incidentally Cty Rd 4 seemed to have fewer overall =
Owls=20
than in weeks past...however this may have just been timing as well as =
time=20
spent on the road)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>2 Northern Hawk Owls - 1 in Rice Lake NWR, 1 along =
Kestrel Ave=20
north of Tamarack.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Other notables: Ruffed Grouse in a tree along Hwy 65 =
about=20
6:50am, more horned larks calling and flying around the fields, 2 =
Sharp-tailed=20
Grouse in the fields on the south side of 420th.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Chris Fagyal<BR>Senior Software Engineer<BR>United Defense, L.P.=20
ASD<BR>Fridley, MN <BR>(763) 572-5320<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:chris.fagyal@udlp.com">chris.fagyal@udlp.com</A></DIV></BODY=
></HTML>

--=__PartA487D566.0__=--