[mou] Mallard/A. Black Duck hybrid, Itasca County

shawn conrad dingermcduff@hotmail.com
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:22:23 -0600

I checked out the growing number of waterfowl in Cohasset today, and in
addition to the regular birds that have been there through the weekend,
there was a hybrid Mallard/American Black Duck.  The Sibley guide says these
are fairly common, but I've never seen one, so I thought I'd post it in case
someone was looking to half-check a Mallard and half-check a Black Duck:)

(That does make me wonder how different birders deal with hybrids on their
lists...)

Also there were the first 2 Wood Ducks I've seen this year, a lone American
Coot, and more Red-winged Blackbirds.  No Cackling Geese spotted among the
hundreds of Canadas.

I saw my first Robin of the year in Grand Rapids, Bohemian Waxwings in
Cohasset and Coleraine, and a Northern Shrike on County Road B near ICC in
Grand Rapids.

Shawn Conrad
Bovey